Darko gets defensive (again) 😄

please do me the favor and let me decide what I spend my money on.

Darko and a fellow traveler ramp up the defense, but not until COVID-19 is downplayed -

I’ll save people the trouble. If you can’t hear a difference it’s because of your sh’tty system or your sh’tty ears. :smirk:

5 Likes

I don’t agree with Darko that being able to hear a difference (in an uncontrolled test) disqualifies something from being snake oil. No doubt a lot of people who took the original snake oil remedies felt better, but for reasons that had nothing objectively to do with the product.

Collins English Dictionary defines “snake oil” as:

… any substance that is claimed to be a medical remedy but which in fact has no healing properties.

Note the phrase “in fact” rather than “in the opinion of the patient”.

In the world of audio I take this to mean something that makes no objective difference to the sound quality although it is claimed to do so. By that definition if I hear a change that isn’t objectively there, the product might still qualify as snake oil.

Whether it’s a scam or a “worthwhile” product for other reasons is still open to question, of course.

4 Likes

Really, a lot of this market is geared to people who are inwardly unsure of themselves. “Oh, perhaps my hearing is bad!” or “Oh, maybe I don’t know the secret art of listening correctly!” or “Oh, maybe my equipment is caca!” or “Oh, maybe I need to shield my cables from the rays Martians are sending from their stealthed satellites!” And of course, there are lots of those folks out there.

5 Likes

I found this on another post in Roon Software that may shed something

8 Likes

I think John @John_Darko gets a lot of unwarranted criticism.
Here we have someone who is articulate, driven and communicative - who has an opinion. You might not necessarily agree with his opinion(s), but criticism towards his opinions seems to get very ‘personal’ very quickly? I think this is unfair, and unwarranted.
I actually think there is a lot of jealousy towards him? He’s made a success of his ability to communicate via his website/YouTube channel, and people listen to him. And companies advertise with him. Notwithstanding what you think about his reviews, he’s made a success of his passion, And that deserves respect, in my book.

27 Likes

Well said, @Martin_Kelly - although I disagree with what some of Darko says, he says it thoughtfully and is careful not to be dogmatic. Because of that, I always enjoy his videos and articles.

6 Likes

@Chrislayeruk thanks for quoting this, its well explained. Perhaps it should find its way into the RAAT KB article.

2 Likes

the best joke was while he was testing some expensive DAC by using Genelec active monitors
not knowing that signal is passing trough additional A/D and D/A stage of mediocre quality inside monitors.

Problem is that audiophiles has become subject of ridicule in today’s world and people like Darko are directly responsible for this by spreading false claims.

2 Likes

Got a link?

Which ones?

not sure
coax driver is in center

One of the ‘Ones’ then. Earlier pun unintentional…

If the conversion in these is genuinely ‘mediocre’, I think that might demonstrate that the conversion really isn’t the limiting factor in most systems.

They’re very well regarded in ‘pro’ community.

1 Like

Thats true! I agree with you. I was doing comparisons between several DAC’s I have by using ROON sync multy zone playback. Auralic aries Mini, Berlkeley Alpha DAC and USB to one Rpi, Resonessence Veritas DAC to other RPi, match output levels, connected everything to Luxman integrated amp.
It’s amazing how little of a difference actually is between these sources.

2 Likes

Thanks for this post @Chrislayeruk

This is one of the many reasons I buy DCS. I’m hoping to upgrade to the Rossini. Presently running the Puccini with U-Clock…

Cheers

1 Like

I said: "But hey, if you like that shiny, fancy golden carbon USB cable than go ahead and be proud."

Has nothing to do with pride! I just want to do what I want , without getting pissed in my shoes

@John_Darko’s talkin to you here @xxx ! :grin:

Hope you’re keepin safe in NY brother :pray:

Makes me want to go out and buy some lampcord…

I guess the real question is whether he’s really that bad at thinking, or whether he’s actively and knowingly promoting misinformation and marketing memes? I wouldn’t care to lay a bet either way. Poor guy! Softer, more relaxed. Punchier! Perpetuate falsehoods!

Excellent book on this topic: https://www.amazon.com/Death-Expertise-Campaign-Established-Knowledge/dp/0190469412

5 Likes

Well…generally I do trust experts, but I much prefer experts who don’t have a vested interest.