Database Question

Hi there,

I recently finished editing all my albums (4560) on Roon. It was a mammoth job (for me) because it involved changing lots of mis-identified albums and artwork, as well as editing track names etc. - this is mainly due to my collection of music somewhat esoteric and rare - 80% of it is not on any streaming service.

My question is where have all these changes been recorded in Roon?
Is there a database that keeps track of all these changes.
My big worry is that if I needed to restore Roon, and I had to start all over again, I would be back to square one. I’m using a Mac to play my music (which is installed on a NAS).

If any developer or experienced Roon user (particularly Mac) would offer any help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Yes, there is a database.

It should be kept backed up. There are two ways to do so: one is built into Roon, and the other is to use a Mac backup system like Time Machine. You can use both as an extra layer of safety.

To see the Roon backup, select Settings > Backups from the Roon app. You can use the same screen to restore a backup if you have problems.

Assuming you used the Roon application to make the edits (and not a tag file editor), then all these changes are stored in the Roon Database that is local on the Roon Server Machine.

What’s very important is that you take regular backups of the Roon DB, ideally setup an automated schedule (or two).

Once suggestion is to have:

• One that runs daily, and retains 31 versions, to one location.
  • One that runs monthly, and retains 12 versions, to a different location.
2 Likes

You should NOT back up a running Roon instance with Time Machine. This will create an inconsistent backup because Roon may write database changes to the disk while TM makes a backup.

Use the built-in Roon backup method and THEN you can let TM make additional backup copies of this.

See the documentation:

4 Likes

I’ll add a note: Roon backup does not back up your music files. Do make sure you have a backup of your NAS.

3 Likes