dCS Bartók Streaming DAC + HP amp

Airplay enabled instead of RAAT. Silly mistake, I’d never do that :smirk::smirk::smirk:

Yes, very silly mistake…and I went on line to show it to the world…sheesh!

Bartok sounds fabulous, though.

Follow up to my issues with our new Bartok, there is a lock feature and this was set at the factory so I couldn’t make any changes to the operating parameters (filters, headphone levels, etc) using the Mosaic app until releasing the lock.
Just sent as a note for anyone who may have a similar situation with a brand new Bartok. The array of choices may be unfamiliar and possibly intimidating to any new user.
My thanks for the assistance of Mark MacDonald, of the Sound Room, here in Vancouver and Jesse Luna, of dCS, by phone.

I am new at dCS, I have bought a Bartók few weeks. It works fine. But I found that the display of the machine seems can’t display Japanese also Chinese song name. Will be work fine later by the new firmware update? Thanks.

Unfortunately the character set used by the front panel of the DAC does not have any support for non-latin (Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Cyrillic, etc) characters. I cannot say whether or not this will be changed in a future firmware update.

Thanks for your quickly reply:)

Hi @AMP Andrew and all!

I recently sold my dCS Debussy DAC and Network Bridge. Now I am thinking about buying Bartok, although I really want Rossini with clock (but too expensive for me) :slight_smile:
How much worse is the Bartok than the Rossini? Is there a possibility that in the future firmware 2.0 will be released for Bartók a la Rossini, with all sound improvements? Is it true that the Bartok differs from the Rossini only in simpler chassis, one power supply and firmware, and the rest is all identical?

Has anyone done a head-on comparison Bartok vs Rossini?

Does the Bartok/Rossini have a linear power supply or a switching power supply, as in Debussy?

My complete system is ATC SCM 50 Active with ATC SCA2 preamp…

I really don’t think that this is the right way to look at it. The Bartók isn’t crippled in comparison to the Rossini, it’s just that the Rossini has more sophisticated processing. Both are far more similar than they are different, but the Rossini is definitely more refined.

What’s more important for in your case is that the Bartók is significantly better than the Debussy in every conceivable way.

While this is technically possible we have no current plan to implement the new mapping algorithm on Bartók.

The differences are very clearly detailed in the beginning of this thread. Here’s a link to the post

1 Like

Thanks @AMP Andrew for your reply.

You calmed me down a bit))

But I still did not understand what kind of power supply Bartok(Rossini also) has: linear (transformer) or switching power supply such Debussy?

I also wanted to clarify if using the Bartok as a preamplifier. Should I use all 4 values (0.2, 0.6, 2 and 6V) ​​and choose the best by ear for matching with the power amplifier? Or I need to choose the value that will allow minimum use of digital attenuation or ideally bypass it at all (0 dB).

I didn’t like the built-in preamp in Debussy. The less I used digital attenuation, the better the sound was. But he had a 2V minimum value and I had to lower the volume by 15-30 dB. Not good.
The best sound I had when I used a separate preamp and Debussy was in bypass mode (0 dB)

As I noticed, all the measurements you make at 6V. Does this mean that lower values ​​will have worse parameters?

Thanks in advance!

All of our current products use a proprietary power supply design which is neither strictly linear nor strictly switching. The only important thing to know is that it’s the correct power supply for the application. Have a little trust in the fact that we know what we’re doing.

This is going to depend on your tastes and system. The output stage and volume control used in the current products is vastly improved over the one used in the Debussy and we have a number of customers happily running with no preamp (myself included).

You will likely end up with a 2V output based on your experience with the Debussy. There is no real performance difference between 2V and 6V and the choice really comes down to the gain of your amp and the efficiency of your speakers.

We state that the outputs are measured at 6V so as to ensure that the measurements can be related to our other products. There’s no degradation with the 2V output. It’s all a matter of gain.

1 Like

I am a newbie of Bartók . I found that although I haven’t connect any usb input but the usb detail in the apps still display:48 kHz Sample rate? Is it normal?

This is normal and has to do with the way that the USB receiver works. Although you have no device connected the receiver is always active at it’s startup sample rate (which is 48kHz). That’s what the input selector circuit is seeing.

Thanks a lot. One more thing want to ask is the Bartók need burn in time? Let say 100 hours something. Thanks

100 hours is reasonable. The built-in burn-in function is useful for this. There’s no need for the amp/preamp to be on for this function to work. You just need to have the Bartók’s outputs plugged into something.

1 Like

Thanks a lot Andrew.

Thanks @AMP Andrew

Just for clarifiy

I have no doubt that Bartok has a high quality power supply. But can I connect Bartok to the one power distributor along (same power line) with the other system components that are transformer powered without fear of interference from the switching supply or some parts of switching power? Or for Bartok I need a separate power line or some power filtration?

Then what is the need for 0.2V and 0.6V at the analog output? Can I use them to operate Bartok directly connected to the power amplifier to avoid digital attenuation high levels? Or they are not designed for this purpose? For example, Rossini has only 2V and 6V…

P.S. Maybe dCS team or somebody have some experience with work Bartok/Rossini directly connected to active ATC SCM 50+ vs ATC’s top end preamp SCA2? That my system is.

Firstly, Rossini has 0.2V, 0.6V, 2V, and 6V output levels.

To answer your question: If 0.2V is enough to get your listening volume around what you need with just a touch of digital attenuation, by all means use that. However, the digital attenuator (at least in my Rossini) does not produce a sound degradation in my experience.

I also want to comment on how I use this as a “preamp”. I have an Audio Note Kondo Ongaku, which is an integrated amp. This amp does not have a remote, so setting volume levels with my previous DAC involved a lot of legwork. What I do now is set the amp to a relatively high level but not maximum, and I use the attenuator in the Rossini to lower it slightly (usually 2dB-10dB) to get the volume level I want for the music that is playing. In fact, I have limited the volume slider in Roon to -20dB max attenuation so that I get a little wider region of slider on the iPad screen.

1 Like

On the official dCS website is not specified for Rossini. Thanks! ))

Great choice! Although I never heard it)

My expectation is this setting determines the analog gain of the analog output stage - ie for a 0dB sine wave you’d get a peak (maybe RMS, not sure) of 2V or whatever the setting is.

Also, I use 2V.

It’s lovely. Thank you.

http://goo.gl/66fjxw

4 Likes