Dealing with foreign titles

I feel kind of guilty asking so many questions, but I’m already planning the transition to Roon so I’m raising questions as things come to mind.

I surmise from other posts a major source of Roon’s metadata is Rovi - which in the main seems to catalog American and British popular music and classical music. Where albums are foreign language are we likely to have to supply our own metadata? If we did do so, would Roon’s metadata servers retain this metadata for future use or would the instance be local to the user only?

We gather metadata from a variety of sources, some of which have decent coverage of foreign-language material. I’d be interested to hear about your results to get a sense of how we’re doing in this area.

Great question about retaining user metadata edits for future use. That’s not something we do at this point but the idea has come up in discussion several times and we all love it.

[quote=“jeremiah, post:2, topic:302”]
Great question about retaining user metadata edits for future use. That’s not something we do at this point but the idea has come up in discussion several times and we all love it.
[/quote]There’s definite merit in retaining the metadata for future use. Two use cases:

• if for some reason a user has to recreate their library (disk failure, 2nd physical location e.g. holiday home etc.) they need only define their metadata once
  • if the disc didn’t exist in Roon’s metadata store and no new metadata has arrived from your sources other users can leverage the metadata captured by a user. I guess the trick is in bringing multiple user contributions regarding the same album together.