Default File System for Nucleus Internal Storage

Roon Nucleus with upgraded RAM to Max and 8TB Samsung SSD 870

What is the file system for my Internal SSD formatted by the Nucleus Web based interface?

Thanks

Ext4 is the format. This is a Linux format and not natively read by Windows or Mac PCs.

But there are good third party file system drivers for it (paragon-software.com) if you need to use the SSD with Windows or Mac, and of course over the network it is irrelevant anyway

1 Like

Thanks.

My Nucleus library has over 8000 albums and 120K tracks. Even after maxing out the RAM and installation of 8TB internal SSD. The performance is unbearably slow.

Planning to migrate to Current spec Wintel or MacMini. Any suggestion for the Intel platform to maximize performance? I use a dCS Bartok as player and DAC.

The properties of the library play a role, like how many albums per artist maximum, how many tracks per artist maximum, how many unidentified albums, how many tags, etc. However, nominally you already exceeded the library size that is recommended for a Nucleus, and the specifications say:

Larger Libraries, Multiroom, and DSP.

For large libraries over 100k tracks and/or if you plan on using heavy DSP and multiroom functionality, the specifications of your server will need to increase to meet the demand. Ultimately the specifications will vary depending on the size of your library, but here are some key points to consider:

1. Your server should be based on a more powerful CPU and the Nucleus+ is an ideal platform. Other options include ROCK or Linux running on an Intel Core i7 or i9 CPU, Windows on a Core i7 or i9 CPU, or macOS on a Core i7, i9, or Apple Silicon CPU.

2. You will need sufficient RAM for Roon as well as any other tasks the machine may perform. We recommend 8GB as a minimum for Roon in addition to the base RAM for the machine. For Linux, Windows, and macOS this will typically result in a system with 16GB RAM or more.

3. As always we recommend a solid state drive (preferably NVMe) for the OS and Roon database.

If I was you, Iā€™d go for a machine that is as fast as possible for my wallet and fits the form factor I want. ROCK, Mac, Win, Linux depends on your preference.

This topic was automatically closed after 45 days. New replies are no longer allowed.