Detailed guide to Roon ARC troubleshooting available?

Greetings,

I’be been dabbling with ARC for several months now and it has been extremely unreliable for me. I’m running it on my iPhone 14 Pro. It seems to work in the most unexpected places (in-flight wifi) and then is completely unusable the next day when I am just a mile away from my home core unit.

I’ve deleted and reinstalled the app 4 times and still experience the same problems.

Is there a detailed (illustrated) definitive guide to installation/troubleshooting available? Ideally I’d like to walk through common set-up problems/user errors before escalating to Roon tech support.

I am not network savvy so I usually zone out when I see (well intended) user comments that look like computer code/jargon.

I’m home recuperating from surgery and have the “luxury” for the next week of one last try to get ARC running and stable.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Please see the help guides linked from here:

One would think that either your port is open or it’s not. Did you manually open the port or use UPNP? I find myself not trusting opening a port into my private network, so I use ARC over VPN to my router. Works ALWAYS =)

I use Roon ARC all the time, outside the house. And, it is hit and miss. Sometimes it can work days without trouble. Other times it only works for minutes or hours. Eventually it gets a “poor connection” error and that’s it. The server becomes unresponsive and has to be reset. When it works, it is great.

Thank you Martin. I will read/review throughly to rule out any user error on my part.

1 Like

Evert, I used the Roon auto configuration every time. As I mentioned in my post I’m not network savvy so I am unsure of the “why’s and how’s” to use a VPN.

Add images

John thats exactly my experience with ARC. It works beautifully for several days in a row in the same cell/wifi environment (workplace) and then suddenly stops working and I typically get the same “poor connection” error message.

If irregular/spotty service is the “norm” with ARC then I am flogging a dead horse trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. But from what I’ve read most users have a consistent experience (connectivity) with ARC, hence my inquiry.

How did you make the config in your router? Did you manually map the port to your core or did you activate UPNP?

I simply went into Settings in Roon/Roon ARC and saw the following. I’m not sure I’m fully answering your question but put differently, I did not manually config anything.

Router must use UPNP then since Roon sais the connection is open.
I’m guessing the problem is in your end device then…

Both my wife and I use iPhone 14 Pro. We experience the same problem as the gent who posted the quoted comment.

Does anyone know if there is a setting on the iPhone 14pro that must be adjusted/enabled? My gut feeling is there is not since ARC occasionally works without my having made any changes/adjustments/configuration to either my wife’s or my iPhone.