Devialet 'AIR3' beta (mac only)

Having some issues initially with Audirvana + (2.5), but at the moment managing to stream Tidal via Audirvana to Devialet via Air 3 and no hiccups for the last hour.

Yes, seems as if there is major conflict between Roon & Air 3 that’s causes lock up of Mac Mini (on my machine at least)

Sorry for delay, went for golfing …

1. I exited the AIR 2
  2. Installed AIR3
  3. MacBook > Settings > Sound > “Devialet Air” this is what i set up.
    Result - MacBook AIR hanged / Stuck / whatever i have re-start couple of times.

Then Steve suggested to try iTunes. With whatever little ALAC files i had on my NAS, and it was some time i had done iTunes … It worked perfectly. I was so Jealous that Roon is not working.

After an Hour … I tried Roon again. Just like that it worked.
then i checked settings on MacBook > Settings > Sound > It was set to “Internal Speakers” I did not do it. iTunes might have done it.

Anyways i got some minor couple of blips (pauses for about few msecs) then i increased Delay on both AIR and Roon to 1 sec then 2sec … still did not help.

then i reduced Roon delay from AIR (AIR delay > Roon delay). then it worked smoothly.

I again reduced Roon delay to 100ms and then AIR to 500ms -> WORKED PERFECTLY AND NO DROPS AND NO NOISE OF ANY TYPE.

on Roon Devialet-Air Zone settings i selected all check boxes.
RoonServer on MacBook-Air is 2014, Roon App on “iPad Mini 4”.

I m done with all other devices. Its just MacBook-Air in some other room and in music room i m just with my iPad, Devialet, Speakers. Ofcourse Airport Express and switch which is almost unused (only Dev connected to it). Will keep AQ USB cable and AQ Jitter-Bug as standby.

Come On - you should try it out. Lets say even if it works for couple of days, you would have experienced the SQ or at least know what went wrong. Until you suggested me to try out iTunes i had given up. Unlike Gary who tries different things :wink:(Pulling him in).

@John_Carrigan - I am running RoonServer on my Mac Mini. I launch Devialet AIR 3 first, then launch RoonServer. Configured AIR 3 to automatically stream.

In Roon I have the following settings configured.

Resync Delay - .1 S

Exclusive Mode - Enabled
Integer Mode - Enabled
Use hardware Buffer Size - Enabled
Use Power of 2 Hardware Buffer Size - Enabled
Max Sample Rate - Up to 192Khz
DSD Playback Strategy - Convert to PCM

System has been stable for me.

As an FYI, mine is a 2012 Mac Mini with SSD drive and 16Ghz memory. All music playback either from Tidal or NAS.

My headless Mac Mini is connected via ethernet, as is the Devialet.

@Jnan_Devi_Roon Ha Ha. I will let you know how I play it once my Mac Mini arrives.

1 Like

bplexico - I see you have set Roon delay at 100msec. what about AIR?

Have been using Air 3 with Roon and HQP - seeing the settings people are talking about in roon that seem to work with Air 3 (exclusive/buffers/integers/etc) - can I access those when I have HQP selected? I see how to get to them if I have a ‘zone’ checked - but those options don’t show up as options when I go straight to HQP as network devise.

I encountered a strange situation. Running AIR3.0b on a Mac Mini and at first, using RoonBridge on the same Mac Mini, with RoonServer on a NUC, streaming music to Devialet will have drop out randomly. Almost giving up, I removed RoonBridge and install Roon for Mac and uses the same AIR3.0b output, and it is stable with all bitrates music files, except DSD64.

Since we are on this topic, maybe Roon guys can take a look why playing DSD64 music using DoP on AIR3.0b will have background hissing noise. Well, it may be AIR3.0b problem. For the record, I have been able to play DSD over PCM using AIR2.1.3 on a Win 8.1 RoonBridge notebook.

1 Like

I have set Roon at .1s and Air3 at 2000ms and have no problems running Air3 over RoonBridge. Works Perfectly.

1 Like

This is exact setup I have. I was just wondering if AIR3 is on less delay and working fine for you so I could do some optimization. anyways it does not matter now. Its stable, working fantastically and convenient too. No more experiments. Sit and enjoy the music.

I don’t like setting too high an amount of buffering, so 2000ms (2sec) is not an option for me.

Same here, was never really happy even with a 1s buffer in AIR. It buffers real time so becomes really annoying when skipping tracks etc. 2s would finish me off for sure.

Well,I got it working on 0.0s Roon delay and 50ms AIR delay.

1 Like

That’s more like it :slight_smile:

So I have found two issues so far with the AIR3 Beta, I believe all echo’d previously.

1. DoP does not work properly, getting a hissing sound in background with music playback, if one choose to convert DSD to PCM in Roon, all works fine.

2. RoonServer running on Mac Mini works great with AIR 3. Mac Mini running RoonBridge, no go.

@mike - possible to get someone to review? Happy to provide further details, log files, etc…

That might be because DOP is not supported via AIR on Devialet, it only works on USB and other digital connections. Not via AIR wifi or Ethernet.

Well, technically and officially, yes, AIR doesn’t support DoP playback. But, I have been successfully using AIR 2.1.3 to stream DSD64 via DoP.

Yes but if it’s not supposed to work it’s hardly an issue if it doesn’t work more you were lucky it did work👍

Technically none of us know what AIR3 supports or even what OS it’s designed for, as in their usual style Devialet didn’t release a shred of information with this beta, which I now see their support team are saying was ‘leaked’ via their own website! Hilarious.

If it weren’t Devialet, I would be very surprised that a manufacturer would go to the trouble of adding DSD capability to their premium line, but then leave DSD out of their updated streaming solution. If Gary says DSD was there in the latest Windows version, then that may be a sign they were working on it. But what do I know. We may never know. This is Deviate after all.

Actually it has clearly been stated that DOP is for USB and other physical digital connections only, we all know you hate Devialet.