Devices tab - one endpoint works, one doesn't

I have two RoPieee endpoints on Pi Zero 2 Ws which work very well indeed as Roon endpoints. I can’t be convinced that expensive streamers would do a better job feeding quite a high end DAC/Pre/Power system in my living room, and a more utilitarian setup in my kitchen.

I’ve noticed that the Devices tab only works as expected on one of them - the list on the other remains totally unpopulated. They’re set up in exactly the same way with identical (wired) hardware - I even reflashed them using new 32GB SD cards a few days ago. It’s obviously not an urgent or serious issue that I’m desperate to resolve but wondering if it’s symptomatic of anything else/useful to raise as an issue.

Anyone seeing similar? Is there anything I should do about it?

So, first a few questions:

• the units are on the latest version?
  • the units have different hostnames?

Furthermore: the devices tab uses MDNS (multicast DNS) to ‘find’ each other. This technology is also used by Roon itself to locate Roon server(s), endpoints etc. However, this technology heavily relies on your local network infrastructure to work. But in your case, as it works on one endpoint, it should work on the other as well.

Hi Harry

Appreciate such a quick response :+1:

To answer your questions, yes they’re both on the latest version - 2024.03 (1450), and they have different names (Kitchen and LivingRoom).

I can’t think why the network might be causing problems. My setup is very simple and both units are wired to the router. Let me investigate the IP reservations and reboot things etc. just in case there is a gremlin in there.

Thanks for taking time to respond to what is hardly a mission critical query. It might not be for 10 days or so but I’ll report back in due course.

If you have any time, just send me a feedback (from the ‘advanced’ tab) on the unit that has an empty devices list. Preferrably after it has been running for at least an hour or so.

Thanks

Sure I can do that - 2c8908315258dcbd

Slight update - I’ve switched both Zero 2Ws to wireless connections as an experiment. And I’ve rebooted my router. The [Kitchen] unit still doesn’t populate the Devices tab, whereas the [LivingRoom] unit sees both as expected; it’s very odd.

I’m not losing any sleep over this but let me know if I can help any more with debugging and I’ll do what I can. I suppose this issue could conceivably bug someone(!) with multiple RoPieee endpoints.

Thanks for the ongoing awesomeness, Harry :+1:

I’ve spent a bit more time on this - it seems to be very difficult to get my router (a Unifi Dream Machine Pro) to fully ‘forget’ client devices, even across various reboot cycles. I’ve tried various techniques to reset the arp table etc. and it seems whatever I’ve done has finally fixed the issue.

TL;DR - I’m confident it’s not a problem with RoPieee.