DietPi: creating a lean-and-mean Roon Bridge

Wow, great turnaround! I’ll definitely install DietPi once the NAA install gets verified as working!

What’s the cleanest way to get the latest Dietpi?

Start afresh with an SD card, or can you update from the existing Dietpi install via ssh?

Actually, ssh’ing in I believe the answer is in print right before my eyes :slight_smile:

dietpi-update

Using ‘Terminus’ app on the iPad (forgot I had it). All going well so far.

All done. Worked a treat. The longest part was moving around the menus via the iPad app, to find the pertinent settings (in my case RoonBridge and host name).

It gives nice feedback about what it’s doing, autodetected the iqaudio (unless it picked that up from my previous settings), and it’s done.

As soon as I get a window the pi2 in the bedroom will get moved over to Dietpi too, and any future pi zones will surely be Dietpi where possible.

3 Likes

ok, so here’s a question.

If you’re running another OS on a Pi, can you switch over to Dietpi via ssh and command line? Or is that a reformat job?

Nope, you’ve got to flash a new SD card. While DietPi is based on Raspbian, it is so heavily customised that it is a whole different distro.

1 Like

@andybob

NAA Daemon is tested (works great with Roon and HQPlayer). Will be available in DietPi next update (v140). We still have alot of open tickets for v140 (https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/milestone/42), so may be some time before its released.

In the mean time, you can test the installation using our testing branch.

Andy, would it be possible to add VST support to HQPlayer? That would be the icing on the cake, would allow for something like this (iOzone audiophile heaven, master in realtime):
This uses the bass API library

2 Likes

Thanks @Dan_Knight !

I’ll try out the test branch over the next few days and let you know of any issues. Really impressive turnaround on the request and it will be great to be able to refer folks to DietPi for menu driven installation of Roon Bridge, NAA and the various HAT boards. The low process count and logging to RAM (making it robust to power down corruption of the SD card) means it ticks all boxes for audiophile users, no matter what level of technical knowledge they have.

I’ll drop a flag for @jussi_laako so he can see your suggestion regarding VST support. I think it’s fair to say Jussi has developed HQP with great attention to sound quality and avoided any unnecessary “bells and whistles” in pursuit of that goal. His success in that regard can be guaged from his customer base, which include people whose passion for SQ make monomaniacs look like dilettantes !

VST/AU support has been requested by a number of users for Roon but while not ruled out, there are no current plans to implement it.

There are plans to include a convolving engine and other DSP functions in Roon and to release an API.

1 Like

I kind of thought it was on the roadmap? Or at least somewhere between unplanned and on roadmap :wink:

1 Like

Hi Steve,

You may be thinking of this thread, which includes some nice discussion by Brian and Jussi about plug ins, Roon and HQP respectively.

I don’t understand that the discussion by @brian of a possible implementation has resulted in any definite plans (but I wouldn’t know if it had). I think your suggestion that it is somewhere between unplanned and on the roadmap is likely to be correct.

Yep, that was the one… well, in my head it’s on the roadmap, and I feel better for it. :yum:

1 Like

VST has quite a number of limitations why it is not supported. One is lack of Linux support (which is my primary development platform), another is lack of DSD support. Many plugins also pose limitations on supported sampling rates. In addition it poses severe architectural limitations on how the processing is managed (things like GPU-offload, etc).

I want HQPlayer to support all DSP processing for both PCM and DSD for any sampling rate.

1 Like

I tried this today, replacing my existing hand-crafted stretch install for RoonBridge and NAA.

OMG it was so easy. So. Easy. !!!

Mad props to @Dan_Knight. I can’t wait for the update with NAA built-in, I can live without it for the time being.

-mike

2 Likes

I am not succeeding in getting it working. My goal is to have a Roon bridge on my RPi 3 B with a HifiBerry Digi+ Pro hat.
I installed the self installing DietPi image, mentioned here, it is V139. After a while, the RPi presents itself as two alsa endpoints in Roon. However, the HifiBerry is not found, only the (I guess standard) alsa soundcard and the alsa HDMI output. The list of audio devices gives a no-show for the HifiBerry (also no sound from the HifiBerry while Roon is sending data to the RPi).

When I re-install the SD card, copy dietpi.txt again to \boot, and change the soundcard entry:

#Soundcard
soundcard=hifiberry-digi

or I make another fresh SD card install, and I choose the HifiBerry-digi from the dietpi-config (sound) menu, then Roon does not find any RPi endpoint anymore.

I suspect I am missing something simple, but I can not find it.

Does anyone know what I can do to get it working?

Ruud

My Roon bridge with DietPi V139 is working. I had to choose the HIFIBerry dac+ in dietpi-config as sound card. The digi and digi+ drivers didn’t work. Quite happy with the SQ. The background is dead quiet. Nice work, @Dan_Knight.

The next step is to include a parametric equalizer such as alsaeq in the signal path for onboard room and speaker correction.

Ruud

1 Like

Hi,

You can install AlsaEQ and configure it with the following program:
dietpi-justboom

Originally designed for JustBoom sound cards, will work with others.

1 Like

Hi Dan, that sounds easy! Thanks you for helping out.

Ruud

1 Like

I forgot to mention, Roon is not currently controlled via dietpi-justboom yet, so after enabling EQ, if Roon is currently playing audio (ALSA stream), you will need to restart Roon for ALSA reload and changes to take effect.
systemctl restart roonbridge

EQ levels from alsa EQ mixer are applied in realtime

Dan, from a software point of view, everything seemed to work out.
I installed the equalizer by: sudo apt-get install -y libasound2-plugin-equal
I ran dietpi-justboom, enabled the EQ in global options and went into EQ config. Changed something drastic (1k and 2k band drop to 0%), just to find out if it works, save with F10 and confirmed that the config was saved.

I restarted roonbridge and went into the EQ config again. Still the right EQ config loaded, however, no change in sound, as if the EQ is not being applied. I did not choose my HIFIBerry soundcard in the eq setup, since that gave me access to HIFIBerry settings that are non-EQ (analog and digital gain etc.). These do work in realtime.

Any idea?

Strange, i’ll run some tests here and see if we can replicate.

It appears Roon Bridge is bypassing the system default ALSA device with EQ map completely.
When EQ is enabled, DietPi modifies /etc/asound.conf to map the default sound card on system through EQ.

Usually, we’d expect audio programs that use ALSA, to use the default system configuration, but Roon Bridge does not appear to be doing this.
Regardless of what is contained in /etc/asound.conf, Roon Bridge still manages to output sound, so it must be picking a hw:x,x card on run and using that directly.

I’ll need to ask the Roon devs on this one, see if there is a way we can allow use of system default sound card, or specify one.

Here is the /etc/asound.conf we generate, creates a default sound card with EQ map:

ctl.eq {
    type equal
    controls "/root/.alsaequal.bin"
}

pcm.plugequal {
    type equal
    slave.pcm "plughw:0,0"
    controls "/root/.alsaequal.bin"
}

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm plugequal
    slave.channels 2
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 0
}

That explains it. I noticed that when I open the EQ interface, there is no hw soundcard selected.

Choosing the HifiBerry soundcard only shows the earlier mentioned direct HifiBerry controls like gain, etc.
Choosing the default device is not possible.
There seems to be a way to select another sound device, but the name should be known (Roon’s software soundcard?). Or is this an empty place holder?
The screen shots:

1 Like