DietPi: creating a lean-and-mean Roon Bridge

Well I removed the existing audio setting to None and rebooted and now I have roon bridge on the RPi seeing the Oppo DAC but I get no output…despite the bit perfect path and the dac indicating PCM 48K for 48K FLAC

More to come as I try the PS Audio DAC too

Moved my pi2 to Dietpi (latest) so I’m using the same for both pi’s (and most likely future pi’s).

Slightly strange thing happened with this one though. All installed OK - used the Roonbridge quick installer - but it didn’t pick up the hifiberry DAC (perhaps that’s as intended, I couldn’t remember from the first time round?).

But the next night I came to play but it had dropped out of Roon, and had this stuck in Roon settings.

A reboot of the pi seemed to fix it. Not looked in my logs for ages, there’s quite a few retries of smbfs mount for my NAS which is turned off in the week, but I’m assuming thus is always happening in any case. The pi related bits are below. So will keep an eye on this one - hopefully it’s a one off.

12/26 19:39:38 Trace: [transport/raat] RAATServer discovered: RaatServer pi_bedroom_dietpi @ 192.168.0.121:40965
12/26 19:39:38 Trace: [transport/raatserver] [RaatServer pi_bedroom_dietpi @ 192.168.0.121:40965] connected
12/26 19:40:45 Warn: [transport/raatclient] RAAT Session timed out during initialization
12/26 19:40:45 Info: Change State Disconnected => ConnectionFailed
12/26 19:40:45 Trace: [transport/raatserver] [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus] client connection failed. Retrying in 19210ms
12/26 19:40:46 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] Change State Connected => Disconnected
12/26 19:40:46 Trace: [transport/raatserver] [RaatServer pi_bedroom_dietpi @ 192.168.0.121:40965] lost client connection. Retrying
12/26 19:40:46 Trace: [transport/raatserver] [RaatServer pi_bedroom_dietpi @ 192.168.0.121:40965] connecting (attempt 1)
12/26 19:40:46 Warn: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] failed to connect Connection refused
12/26 19:40:46 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] Change State Disconnected => ConnectionFailed
12/26 19:40:46 Trace: [transport/raatserver] [RaatServer pi_bedroom_dietpi @ 192.168.0.121:40965] client connection failed. Retrying in 500ms
12/26 19:40:46 Trace: [transport/raatserver] [RaatServer pi_bedroom_dietpi @ 192.168.0.121:40965] connecting (attempt 2)
12/26 19:40:46 Warn: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] failed to connect Connection refused
12/26 19:40:46 Trace: [rnet/RnetJsonClient] Change State Disconnected => ConnectionFailed
12/26 19:40:46 Trace: [transport/raatserver] [RaatServer pi_bedroom_dietpi @ 192.168.0.121:40965] client connection failed. Retrying in 750ms
12/26 19:40:47 Trace: [transport/raatserver] [RaatServer pi_bedroom_dietpi @ 192.168.0.121:40965] connecting (attempt 3)

Ok well the Oppo DAC seems to work now…I was playing some 48K flac that just didn’t happen…I tried some DSD64 and that was OK, 128 was a bit iffy here and there and some 256 was a bit like a dirty record was being played is as best I could describe it.

I would say that DSD64 would be about as good as it gets on the Pi but ill play a bit more with it in the coming days.

Note I’m using a WIFI connection so I might bump that to Ethernet and see if there is any improvement.

You might be able to increase the buffer? May or may not help.

1 Like

I’m at 500mS and still at DSD128 its having slight glitches.

Ill try and drop it to max 64 and them PCM and see how that goes.

back to 100mS too I think

Hard to know whether its the pi’s shared bus, or the wifi. Hopefully its easy to test, DSD128 still isn’t huge data rate so there’s hope. Guess if you have a lot of that type of material, there might be better hardware for you, like RBM’s suggestions.

right now the most effective setup is the IQAudIO DigiAMP+ just add speakers and 15-19V and good to go.
The Pi-DAC for external amp solution and maybe just a USB DAC/AMP combo…DSD is a nice to have but might not be a defining need.

RAAT sync is going to be the next thing that needs to be 100% working, and I am awaiting more hardware to test with…fun stuff this.

I am curious about this statement, currently on the market for 2 new AMP and Pi2/3 combos. At the moment I am dissatisfied with Hifiberry AMP+ as I lost mute ability and volume curve is very steep from 55 till 75. Before that too quiet.
What makes IQaudio better choice then Allo or Hifiberry AMP?

My statement? Perhaps slightly skewed as I am looking for something where good bang for buck is and that just works simply and hassle free.

For me right now that is the Rpi 3B/DietPi/IQAudIO DigiAMP+ combo.

I have yet to get the Allo kit that differs slightly (well a lot really) due to no integrated DAC/AMP hat and the more costly Kali Reclocker / CM and Volt additions. But their Sparky SBC has a lot more grunt than than the Pi 3B and has better USB for external DAC support as I understand it. Cost of course is another matter and connectivity complexity another.

I like to have a lot options to play with (drives the wife nuts trying to get her head around what playback changes happens this week) and this type of small base gives lots of scope.

I see… I was looking for some first hand comparison, because I am not happy with Roon/Hifiberry AMP combination. Thanks. :slight_smile:

The unfortunate timing of my foray into all this and the festive season and it’s holidays have been frustrating but once over the hump I hope to be doing some comparisons with at least 2 of the options being the allo and iqaudio platforms.

So far the dietpi distro seems to be pretty good with the Roon bridge install. A few niggles but pretty much all sorted with a minimal amount of digging up info. Many thanks to @Dan_Knight and some others to float the boat.

Maybe RPi 4 will be the better option but not even sure if that is coming, so others might rise up and make support for decent rate DSD on a hat.

Roll on 2017.

1 Like

So far the dietpi distro seems to be pretty good with the Roon bridge install. A few niggles but pretty much all sorted with a minimal amount of digging up info. Many thanks to @Dan_Knight and some others to float the boat.

No worries, Linux is one of those rare gems. Everything constantly changing, so many possibilities, but with DietPi, we try to focus on making stuff work :slight_smile:

We know something will come in the end, just hope they break past the 100mbit usb ethernet and 1GB ram limit on current BCM architecture.

On a another note, would love to see Roon supporting ARM64 for v1.3.
With the Odroid C2 + HiFi Shield 2, its a power house SBC, in a completely different league to RPi 3. The HiFi Shield 2 is a excellent audio HAT to compete with even the top end RPi HATs.

I’ve tested the ARMv8 Roon Bridge build, suspect you’ll see it with the release of 1.3. I’m actually using DietPi on my C2’s with the ARMv8 build of Roon Bridge. Running the HiFi Shield 2 as a Roon enabled DAC for the kitchen radio.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Rune0S for RPi - Contrast and compare

24 posts were split to a new topic: Diet Pi, Roon Bridge, HQP and iFi Nano

@evand
Excellent, looking forward to 1.3!

Any idea if this build of Roon bridge is available to the public domain? If Roon permits, we could add the ARMv8 (ARM64) installation in and allow DietPi C2/Pine users a way of creating a Roon bridge.

It’s not publicly available as yet and I don’t think the shell scripts for installation have been finalised. When I tested the installation was manual.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Diet Pi, Roon Bridge, HQP and iFi Nano

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Diet Pi, Roon Bridge, HQP and iFi Nano

I’ve shifted @Wayne_Bull1’s posts about Diet Pi and NAA to their own thread as above.

2 Likes