DietPi: creating a lean-and-mean Roon Bridge

Yes, it’s OK. God I hate Linux.

Geoff, are you using 8gb class 10 card by any chance?
I am not proficient in Linux, but after getting the same error it helped to save image to 4Gb aka slower smaller card. Go figure.

Hmm, I’m using a 16GB SanDisk Ultra card - I’ll try something else. Thanks for the suggestion…

Dan_Knight suggested (on his DietPi forum) that error could stem from power supply. Smaller, older card worked for me.

http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1002

Nope, still failing at the same place - trying to get the ALSA software. I only have 16GB and 32GB cards, so basically, I’m borked.

I know. It is quite hard to get < 8Gb cards nowadays.

I’m running DietPi on a 16GB card without problems.

It looks like an error with your repository mirror. What happens when you try to install manually?

sudo apt update && sudo apt install alsa-utils

1 Like

OK 3rd (or was it 4th?) time lucky - the installation process completed, and I now have Roon Bridge running on DietPi. Whew…

3 Likes

Yep spot on :slight_smile:

@Geoff_Coupe

Seems the RPi repo mirrors are playing up, I had similar issues yesterday for a few hours. If you experience the issue again, I’d highly recommend changing the repo used on your system.

You can change the APT mirror with dietpi-config:
dietpi-config > Networking Options: NAS/Misc > APT mirror

Thanks, Dan. I’ve now got Roon Bridge running, but useful to know for future reference.

Im having some issues now with installing ALSA on the new Pi’s I just got…not sure if its a V140 issue of DietPi or the repos seem most likely…ill try and grab the error this time around if it fails

Seems it made it this time…

Im wondering why the HDMI output is limited to 44.1/48K - is there anyway to improve that? Should be able to get to 24/192?

AH I think I found something… https://volumio.org/forum/aduio-quality-dac-hdmi-t3688.html
“HDMI could be an option (but there are still some limitations like max 48khz, 2 channels. Look for more info on HDMI and the work in progress to update HDMI to 192khz, 8 channels).”

Im thinking the HAT options might be the only way to get to 24/192 at this rate.

1 Like

How do I restart roonbridge? I rebooted my RPi, and now Roonbridge isn’t appearing in the htop list of running processes…

sudo systemctl restart roonbridge

You can check whether it’s running at all by issuing:

sudo systemctl status roonbridge

A post was split to a new topic: Roon Bridge and ALSA

I see DietPi now has an image for ODROID C2 as well - installing it now…will add Roon Bridge for ARMv8 manually.

sorted!

Just wanted to clarify that if my goal is to get HQPLAYER NAA working currently, I need to install dependencies? I’ve installed the HQP NAA through Diet-Pi-Config. HQPLAYER sees it and sees my USB Benchmark DAC2 HGC connected to ALSA; ROON connects to the HQPLAYER on my server no problem, but… I get no sound. I guess I assumed since it was so easily installable by this excellent time saving build that it would be plug and play (thanks Dan for spoiling me), but I’m assuming I’m missing some puzzle pieces. FYI, I had similar issues with my Benchmark not outputting sound with ROON BRIDGE through ALSA until I manually selected a couple of checkboxes in the GUI audio settings of the previous linux image (some switches, whatever those are?) to get audio to play. Of course this could be unrelated, but I was nonplussed when this didn’t “just work”, so I wasn’t exactly surprised by this outcome, but would like to know what I can do to troubleshoot the issue. I just left foobar for Roon Lifetime, I’m totally sold on it, and this was my very first post. Happy Holidays Everyone!

can anyone confirm if the DietPi RPi 3B combo can support DoP for USB capable DACs like the Oppo HA-1/2

I want to try this but have as yet not been able too.

It seems Volumio RPi build has an option for DoP but no Roon of course.

Yes, no problem. Install RoonBridge as usual and select DoP in Playback > DSD playback strategy in your endpoint settings in Roon.

So i just plug in the DAC and Roon Bridge will do the rest?

Yes, after you have set DoP in Roon > Settings > Audio > Endpoint (gear icon) > Playback > DSD playback strategy (otherwise Roon will resample DSD to PCM).

The worst that could happen is dropouts caused by the limited bandwidth that the Pi is sharing between Ethernet en USB. The higher your bitrate, the more likely these are bound to occur.

While this has become less of an issue with recent kernels (DietPi is very up-to-date) – if you stumble upon this, you may want to look at an Cubox, Odroid or other SMB with better performance for networking and USB.