DietPi with Generic I2S HAT

I have a RPi3B+ with a I2S HAT which works with Ropieee using the " * Raspberry Pi DAC (I2S Generic)" setting. I am now trying DietPi as I could not get DoP to work using RoPieee. With DietPi, there isn’t such an option available. I have tried various hifiberry options but none of them work.

aplay -l shows no soundcards found whichever setting I use

Has anyone successfully gotten something similar to work?

Your core handles DOP; Ropieee will see a PCM stream. What is the DSD source? Can you share the signal path?

I’m not sure how it works on Ropieee, but on Raspberry Pi OS and DietPi you are using device tree overlays to have needed hardware parts setup and drivers loaded. For most specific DACs, you can select them in dietpi-config audio options, but I see there is a generic I2S DAC overlay as well. Try to add dtoverlay=i2s-dac to the end of /boot/config.txt.

Have a look into /boot/overlays and /boot/overlays/README for all available overlays and pic the best matching one.

I just see the previous rpi-dac has been renamed to i2s-dac. dietpi-config does not reflect this yet. So selecting rpi-dac there should as well work for generic I2S DACs.

Thanks, I used rpi-dac and it works (as it Roon can see it). I don’t understand why aplay -l still says no soundcards found though.

Huh? That is very unexpected indeed. I wonder how Roon is able to see it if aplay -l does not. It isn’t listed here either then, right?

ls -l /proc/asound/card*

It turns out it was a username thing. I was using the dietpi user. If I use root, aplay -l will show the sound card. Is it suppose to be so?

Ah makes sense. Add users to audio group to grant them raw audio device access:

sudo usermod -aG audio dietpi
1 Like

It didn’t work. aplay -l still didn’t show the sound cards but sudo aplay -l would.

Edit: Ok, it works now. I am not sure what happened.

Strange, did you logout and login again? It works well here:

dietpi@VM-Bullseye:~$ aplay -l
aplay: device_list:274: no soundcards found...
root@VM-Bullseye:~# usermod -aG audio dietpi
dietpi@VM-Bullseye:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: I82801AAICH [Intel 82801AA-ICH], device 0: Intel ICH [Intel 82801AA-ICH]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

But a VM. Can test on RPi later.