Difficutly installing Roon 1.7 on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS using WineHQ

Yup, none of that ever happens. I just get the lines about the attempts to install each version and then the process dies without ever installing. In the messages above where I pasted in all of those lines, i.e.:

Executing load_dotnet40 
------------------------------------------------------
This package (dotnet40) may not fully work on a 64-bit installation. 32-bit prefixes may work better.
dotnet40 does not yet fully work or install on wine.  Caveat emptor.
Current Wine does not have Wine bug 42701, so not applying workaround
Executing w_do_call remove_mono
You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
Executing load_remove_mono 
Mono does not appear to be installed.
Executing w_do_call winxp
You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.

Wherever my blocks ended is where the process ended. You have a ton of additional lines after all that stuff showing that something is happening. That never happens for me. .NET Framework WILL NOT install. No version of it will. It simply attempts all those other versions and then dies. That’s why the Roon installer prompts me to install 4.5 before installing Roon because there is no .NET Framework available. That’s never happened until I removed the previously working versions of Wine and Winetricks and installed the official way from each’s website (not from apt).

I thought about attempting to do this again using the versions of Wine and Winetricks that apt installs since that has worked for me every time, but this is also way more of a hassle than it should be and I’m quickly losing any interest in wasting more hours on this.

EDIT: I went ahead and did it…I removed Wine again, manually removed ~/my_roon_instance, ~/.wine, and /usr/bin/winetricks, installed the latest stable Wine from apt, installed Winetricks from apt, and then ran install.sh and it completed successfully without prompting me to install the .NET Framework. However, running start_my_roon_instance.sh results in:

$ ./start_my_roon_instance.sh 
0034:err:winediag:xrandr12_init_modes Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
0032:err:winediag:xrandr12_init_modes Broken NVIDIA RandR detected, falling back to RandR 1.0. Please consider using the Nouveau driver instead.
0032:fixme:mscoree:parse_probing privatePath=L"100700505" not implemented

Unhandled Exception:
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type of field 'Sooloos.Application+<>c__DisplayClass3_0:prop_selectedlang' (1) due to: Could not load file or assembly 'RoonBase, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. assembly:RoonBase, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null type:<unknown type> member:<none>
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type of field 'Sooloos.Application+<>c__DisplayClass3_0:prop_selectedlang' (1) due to: Could not load file or assembly 'RoonBase, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. assembly:RoonBase, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null type:<unknown type> member:<none>

I’m going to restart and see if that fixes this is and if not, I’m done wasting my time with this.

EDIT 2: post-restart, same exact thing is happening. I’m done. Hopefully the Fire HD 10 (2019) I ordered yesterday can act as a decent Roon remote.

EDIT 3: I couldn’t leave it alone. I wiped everything out again, I installed winetricks through apt, then ran the update_winetricks.sh script. Then I went back to this post since it always seems to work for me

and attempted to install 4.7.2. I got some weird messages about it not being a valid package and I did…something that ultimately started working (I honestly cannot remember what I did at this point). I output the same garbage about mono not being installed, trying each lesser version than the one I put in before finally opening the .NET Framework wizard with the sky blue splash screen to install a version of it. I went through the installation which completed successfully and then was asked to install 4.5. Since I wanted 4.7.2, I canceled this, thinking I’d already installed it. Now, I think I know what happened:

It attempted to install each version but since I had none in there, it went to 4.0 and installed that. Then went to 4.5 to install that. The second time through, I allowed the 4.5 installer to run. Once that completed successfully, I got a message about needing to restart the computer or programs requiring the .NET Framework would not work properly. I allowed the restart and after about 20 seconds, a new installer opened with a purple splash screen and this, I saw, was for 4.6.0. Went through this installer, got prompted to restart, agreed, a new purple splash-screen installer for 4.6.1 opened. That completed, restarted, and then a 4.6.2 installer opened. That completed, restarted and now I’m finally installing 4.7.2.

4.7.2 installed no problem so I proceeded to install the latest RoonInstaller.exe file. It completed in less than 10 seconds and opened from the wizard completion screen. I’ve found my core and have connected.

I truly do not understand what the hell happened here.

1 Like