Digital Isn't ................ noise, LPS, SMPS and batteries

Interesting lecture about noise, LPS, SMPS and batteries with Rob Watts, Digital Design Consultant, Chord Electronics:

Torben

2 Likes

Following a conversation with Rob when the Hugo first came out, I have always powered mine with an Optima Yellowtop battery.

Oh Bugger, have I got to try car batteries now?

Just wondering HTF do I get 12v DC into my amps :woman_shrugging:t2:

A set of jump leads should do it!
As they involve cable I expect there to be multiple reviews comparing Halfords jump leads to other motoring brands.

2 Likes

Interesting.
How do you charge the battery and regulate the output ? Do you use 12V, 9V, 5V ???
Must say I do not hear a differance between a WELL designed SMPS against a LPS.

1 Like

I have a dedicated solar panel that keeps the battery charged, with a voltage regulator between the Optima and the Qutest.

He ist not a big “fan” of LPS :slight_smile:

Torben

Another engineer with the same conclusion…

2 Likes

I am a tinkerer … which includes having a go at fixing stuff! Have had hi-end gear that eventually needs repair; so I take the lids off and SMPS not LPS 50% of the time. That said had some hi-end kit I now reflect was not hi-end SQ for the money (grrr…) Not sure I hear a differance.

Had a top-end streamer; took the lid off and its SMPS power supply had blown. $40 fix.

Have a top of the range very well reviewed 4K video disc / Audio transport ; its power supply blew and it was an SMPS. With a multi-meter, T7 tester, soldering iron, time and new hard to source diode fixed it for $8.

1 Like