Digital Room Correction (DRC) is an essential feature nowadays

Isn’t the ability to apply DSP one of the benefits of Roon, since it removes the need for hardware DSP at each endpoint?

3 Likes

If you’re up for doing it yourself, check out this application note: Roon Room Correction - HouseCurve.

Sure, but if one of your endpoints does it itself (Dirac Live), there’s no need to burden Roon with it.

But since you just ordered it, it wasn’t something you already had :wink:

What is the default areas with low coherence ?

Hi @Torben_Rick, The user manuals for the Focus Fidelity software are really a step-by-step guide. Focus Fidelity - Digital Room Correction You can try out the measurement application for free to get a feel for the software and the documentation. If you do this and would like to have your measurements looked over, please send to the support email address.

2 Likes

Practically speaking, this means HouseCurve won’t try to correct beyond the capabilities of the audio system (ex: small speakers), dips caused by room modes, etc.

Coherence is basically the signal-to-noise ratio at each frequency. On the plot, HouseCurve hides portions of the measurement with low coherence, a technique called coherence blanking. This gives the user a visual indication of problem areas in the measurement. When making correction filters, HouseCurve will also ignore these low coherence portions.

I’ll try to make that more clear in the app note, I appreciate the question!

1 Like

I understand what DRC is but I’m not sure why you would use it. Not being controversial. Just looking for info so I understand.

If you understand it, and if it’s not too much to ask, can you please explain to me what DRC is?

(My ulterior motive is that, while doing it, you might answer your own question).

1 Like

It compresses the range of volumes in a track so loud sounds are quieter and quiet sounds are louder - well sort of. Basically the amplitudes ate requantized in a narrower range.

I just dont understand why you would want to do this.

Or couse, the frequency levels remain the same relative to eech other when you run the time-domain signal through a FFT.

Well sort of. For example, if the low frequencies are lower volume, this will boost these.

Thanks. Makes sense :slight_smile: You are most probably referring to “Dynamic Range Compression”. (And you are right that, in a home listening environment, you don’t need it). This thread however is about “Digital Room Correction”.

Hence my suspicion that DRC will distort the sound. I could be wrong - i frequently am - but if you’re worried about load peaks, why not just turn doen the volume? Its not like you’re trying to create headroom for the DSP.

Thanks. I saw DRC and assumed compression. I do use the Roon DSP to correct left and right levels and delays based on seating position, but thats about it.

Basically different profiles to make sure the sound stage remains centered even if you are off-axis.

Hi, I’ve expanded the topic’s title to clarify.

1 Like

I use Roon (on a Mac mini), with ethernet connections to my various amp/speaker combinations around the house.

Each system is individually room/speaker corrected by Dirac Live 3, generally running on a MiniDSP SHD.

This works well.

The Good Thing is that doing it like this works for any sound source, because the signal always goes through the SHD before hitting the speakers. If Roon integrated the facility, it would work only on Roon-sourced material. My Linn LP12 and my FM tuner (etc) wouldn’t get the benefit.

However, I’d also like to stream my vinyl from where the turntable lives to where the best speakers are, so adding a multi-source capability to Roon so it could distribute any source everywhere would be a wonderful thing. Then integrating Dirac (or your plug-in DRC of choice) would be a very good thing to pursue.

1 Like

This sounds like Space Optimisation | Technology | Linn. However this Linn technology is proprietary and bound to Linn audio hardware.

I use the dsp in Roon mainly for volume control and to correct the excessive bass when I play “dance” tracks.
I used to correct two room resonances (room modes), which I do now with the dsp in the subwoofer-amp (a Hypex). That also works very well as did the Roon dsp/dsc! You can figure out yourself what are the problematic frequencies and correct them with the dsp-option, you might not need a drc/dirac, especially if you do not only want good sound in just one seat and have good neutral speakers. Then stay with the low frequencies, the room modes, the so called minimal phase area, and correct only them. Don’t correct bad reflections in the mid and high frequencies.
Some of my high-end friends don’t want to use the dsp or volume options in Roon. They say switching it on deteriorates the sound. But I rather listen to zero room modes than “high-end” room modes (which sound as bad as low-end other room mode). And room modes they have! But somehow they don’t seem to care.
Weird.

1 Like