DirectStream DAC bridge II directly to NUC running WiFi possible?

Hi experts,

I have a challenge, that I hope you can help me with!

I have bought a Directstream DAC and an Intel NUC, and am now trying my best to get them to function together through the Bridge II connection. The setup is looking like this:

PS Audio DAC <–> Bridge II <–> Ethernet cable <–> Intel NUC with local music storage running ROON ROCK <–> Intel NUC WiFi <–> WiFi router connected to internet <–> iPhone 6 with ROON remote

The idea is, that I want the direct ethernet connection between the DAC/Bridge II and the NUC, and want to access the ROON core using the NUCs WiFi instead of adding a switch in the setup.

I read that someone managed to make the direct ethernet connection, so I guess my problem is using both the NUCs ethernet and WiFi at the same time? Can this be solved?

I have set the ethernet IP to be static in Roon ROCK, and am putting those data into the DAC, so that they match. I have tried using both a normal ethernet cable and a cross-over ethernet cable.

The ROON remote can connect to the ROON server, but find no devices directly connected to the core.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Unfortunately I can’t put more than one image in the post, since I am a new user… The image below is from the remote ROCK access, where I am defining the IP to be static. The exact same data I put into the Bridge II.

Best regards from Dennis

You need to have both the wifi and Ethernet on the same network segment but different address for the last number…you also have to have a unique similar address for the bridge

The dns address and gateway will be your wifi router address but I would add 8.8.8.8 as a second dns for all your devices too

Your rock core software needs to be updated too

Hello Wizardofoz,

Thank you for your answer. But can you please explain that to me, as you would explain it to a child in pre-school? :S I have no experience whatsoever in this stuff.

Currently it is set up as follows (and it is not working):

Networking - Ethernet (ROCK):
IP Address Setup: Static IP
IP Address: 192.168.8.104
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.8.2
DNS Server: 192.168.8.2

Networking - Wireless (ROCK):
IP Address Setup: DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.8.107
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.8.1
DNS Server: 192.168.8.1

Networking - Bridge II (DirectStream DAC):
IP Address Setup: Static IP
IP Address: 192.168.8.104
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.8.2
Primary DNS: 192.168.8.2
Secondary DNS Server: 192.168.8.2

If you would type in what numbers I should use instead, I would be VERY grateful!

If you need more info to help me, I will gladly send it to you.

I have just downloaded and installed ROCK from the ROON homepage - is the software not up to date?
What do I need to do to make it up to date?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards
Dennis

I’ve not done the setup you are trying, but, there might be an issue if both IPs are .104. Try changing one to .105. Generally speaking every address needs to be unique.

Hi,

I have now tried the following (based on an answer on the PS Audio forum):

Change Ethernet ROCK to use:
IP Address 172.16.1.1
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway: blank, as in no value, it’s not needed
DNS: blank, as in no value, it’s not needed

Change Bridge II to use:

IP Address 172.16.1.2
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway: blank
DNS: blank

Leave wireless unchanged.

This is what I experience then:

I manage to get the connection up and running for a little while (the red LAN icon on the DAC change to green). But when I connect to the NUC via the ROON app on my iPhone, either the connection to the ROON core is lost or the connection between the NUC and Bridge II is lost (the LAN icon changes from green to red). Even when I manage to open the ROON app on my phone while the LAN icon is still green, the DAC doesn’t appear as a possible device to choose - and shortly after the icon turns red and the static IP settings are changed back to DHPC.

Below a screenshot from my iPhone, where it can be seen that no connections are registered to the core or on the network.

Have you guys got any other ideas?

Here a screenshot of my wireless settings:

Your dns and gateways are different for lan and wifi they should be the same

I think you can use all 192.168.6.xxx for your addresses but you must have the xxx different for each device. You can not use 0 or 255 but any number in between is ok as long as no duplicates.

Use an app like FING to scan your network or Net Analyzer this is the iOS link but they do Android too https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/network-analyzer-wifi-scanner-speed-test-tools/id557405467?mt=8

I don’t know how your network looks (the working part of it… but you wont be getting updates to ROCK or DS if your DNS and Gateways are not correct.

Given that you have internet from something - or you count post here I am assuming you can find out what your Gateway (Router/Modem typically) and your DNS address details are.

Given some typical scenarios the BOLDED text changes I have given above should be OK assuming the rest of your wifi and gateway etc are on the 192.168.8.X network and your router is using 192.168.8.1 as its address - if its is other than that then please advise.

The 8.8.8.8 is a google public DNS address and is best to have 2 DNS addresses for each device.

I am making the assumption that you are connecting all of this to a working network and not trying to run it in an isolated network.

You should probably fully disclose your network connectivity too ie what is connected to what and brands models etc so we have a proper understanding of what you have and are not just clutching at straws.

My NUC looks like this… I use 3 DNS entries but the last 2 are given by my ISP as they provided them however I could just as easily use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are the Google public DNS servers. DNS is what allows your computers to lookup who a domain address like roonlabs.com is so that your connection can be made. without the right DNS and Gateway you will be isolated from the outside world.

You can find the basic settings for your Wifi on your iPhone/iPad in info on the Wifi connection as seen below. DNS should be automatic…but you can plug in the Gateway address as this will work or if it doest just use 8.8.8.8

Net Analyzer from www.techet.net will give you maybe better info that Fing try https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/network-analyzer-wifi-scanner-speed-test-tools/id557405467?mt=8

I would post a Net Analyzer screen shot of my network but its gives more info than I care to share :blush:

The last post (32) here Bridging network interfaces sounds like what you are trying to do but with 2 lan interfaces. In your case you have one lan and one wifi but the result should be the same. Using different subnet ranges for both could be more like what you want if isolating the DS is your intention.

But let’s start with what your network on the remote control side (wifi) looks like as I asked above.

Hi Wizard,

Thanks for your feedback! I am at a businesstrip at the moment, and will First be home on friday - then I will find the rest of the network info and provide it to you :slight_smile: I am connected to a wireless network from my network provider through a wireless router. The wireless router is what I am connecting to from my NUC :slight_smile: So:

Wireless internet from provider —> Wireless router —> Wireless reciever in NUC.

During this year I will get a fiber connection - but that need to be established first.

We will get you there is if its doable with your network. Travel safe!

Hello,

I hope it will be doable :slight_smile:

I have now tried to put in the bold network settings you have pasted above (but used 192.168.8.106 for the Bridge II, since it seems my iPhone is using 105…) and checked that my router is using 192.168.8.1, but it is still not working - the roon remote loose it’t connection to the core and the network icon is staying red on the DAC.

IMG_3959

So I have scanned my network with the Net Analyzer - see pics below:

Is that not what was done in post 5 in this thread?

Perhaps but you still have to have the dns and gateway set correctly for updates etc. it’s 3am for me and I’m going to bed but will try to do something similar tomorrow or over the weekend on my NUC. In the mean time why not enjoy the music with your DS connected to usb on the NUC :slight_smile:

@Dennis_Thogersen Do you know what your router setup is for DHCP range? I hope non of the .1xx addresses are in the DHCP pool range.

Does your router have any LAN ports to connect things to?

Unfortunately I cant currently test wifi on my NUC as its in a fanless chassis with no wifi antenna installed.

If your Roon remote cannot see the Roon core then you need to get that side fixed first. It could be your wifi settings or device setups. best if you use DHCP for everything on the wifi as that should work for everything but the PS Audio DS. Lets get the Roon side running right first.

Hi wizard,

The Roon remote to Roon core is working (until I try to connect the Bridge II directly to the NUC). When I let the NUC go on WiFi and connect the Bridge II directly to the WiFi router with an Ethernet cable, there is no problem finding and playing through the BridgeII/DAC (running DHCP) using the Roon remote. The problem is, that it is not possible for me to have a permanent Ethernet cable between BridgeII and WiFi router, because they are in different rooms - that’s why I would like to make the Ethernet connection from BridgeII to NUC instead and do a WiFi connection from NUC to WiFi router so I can use the Roon remote :slight_smile:

I understand the reason to get the LAN to DS working but your last control image showed Lost Connection… so I thought you are still not connected to the core. The Lan Analyser image also doesn’t show the ROCK core. When I scan mine it shows up as ROCK

OK so the Core is up and we need to get the right info into the DS and NUC for the LAN interfaces. And I mean by that that you have DHCP for both LAN and WIFI interfaces on the NUC too

Are you on DHCP now or still fixed IP’s? What range is your DHCP setup for in the router? Do you have access to this in the router admin login? Just to be sure your fixed IP addresses chosen are not in the DHCP pool range.

That said if your gear is all on DCHP and the NUC is bridging correctly then they should all work fine.

Do you have a backup of your roon database? if not then I suggest you get that done.

You can do a reinstall to make sure they are both up to date…or update from the remote in Settings / About. This will only work if your network connection to the internet is working. If you can’t get it the latest update then remove the LAN connection and use the wifi on the NUC until you up to date… Roon B306 is where you should be I think. Not B298 as in your first post.

Hi Wizard,

Sorry for the late reply, I have had a busy couple of days with work… Anyways - now I have updated Roon to B306 and tried what you suggested by putting the Ethernet of both NUC and DS to DHCP - Unfortunately that didn’t help. Then I tried to fix the IP of the NUC ethernet and DS, to see if it worked when i added gateway and DNS and/or after the update:

NUC Ethernet:
IP Address 172.16.1.1
Netmask 255.255.255.0
DNS: 192.168.8.1

Bridge II to use:
IP Address 172.16.1.2
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Primary DNS: 192.168.8.1
Secondary DNS: 8.8.8.8

By doing that, the network icon on the DS turned green for a bit of time, but I couldn’t connect to the DS through ROON remote (and couldnt see it using the Net Analyzer) - and then the icon on the DS turned red and the fixed IP was changed back to DHCP…

The DHCP range on the WLAN router is from 192.168.8.100 to 192.168.8.200

Do you have any other possible solution I can try? I look forward to your reply and really appreciate that you are trying to help me!

I thought the way to do this was to use a private IP for the NUC to bridge and DHCP for NUC to network? Fixed IP should be in the 10.x.x.x range. Actually I did a search and came up with:

**"danny Danny Dulai Roon Labs: COO May '171 **
I do not endorse this setup because I’m not confident it will have a positive benefit on SQ, but here is the proper way to do what you want:

plug your NUC into the router via ethernet and just make that all work properly with DHCP – get everything working with NUC/ROCK/Roon the everything normal.

plug your ethernet adapter into the NUC, and connect that via an ethernet cable directly to the device you’d like to isolate (usually a network audio renderer).

on the NUC’s second ethernet, setup static IP set like this:
ip: 5.1.1.1
netmask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: nothing
dns: nothing

on the isolated device (the audio renderer), setup static IP like this:
ip: 5.1.1.2
netmask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: nothing
dns: nothing

This setup is better than the br0 setup because you aren’t actually linking the 2 networks – in fact, your renderer can’t even talk to the internet in the above setup, nor can it talk to your iPad, or anything else on the network EXCEPT RoonServer on the NUC. Complete IP traffic isolation."