Discuss recent MQA developments here

If tomorrow there is suddenly no more MQA streaming anywhere, the gear can still play non MQA just fine can’t it? It doesn’t suddenly mean you need to throw it away.

‘Administration’ in Britain is the same as bankruptcy in America. It has been mentioned in various articles that this is equivalent to Chapter 11 bankruptcy in the US. Any way you look at it, it means MQA is insolvent. What outcome will happen is what we don’t know. The company can just go completely under, or it can gets split up, or bought entirely. Administration/Chapter 11 is used keep creditors at bay while the company tries to restructure debt obligations.

So basically- “I can stop paying what I owe while l try to get some more money in or sell some of my stuff somehow.”

1 Like

For clarity

UK

US

I do buy a lot of downloads from a variety of different sources (Bandcamp if I possibly can) - if you can buy from Qobuz without subscribing (assuming the service is available in your country), then I guess it becomes another download store in the market which, depending on the extent of its library, may or may not be useful.

1 Like

Yeah, sure, that can be done. But with the “Sublime” sub the HiRez downloads are heavily discounted.

2 Likes

I did get the plugin to rip a cd and I believe it worked, but now that I think about it… I’m not sure exactly if what it did actually did anything. Hmmm :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I have the plug-in activated and configured, but even when ripping disks with HDCD logo that I know used to turn on HDCD light on the DAC back when I had one, it still spits out same 16-bit FLACs. I did a quick check of support forums, but it looks like everyone says that it should work but nobody has it actually working. So I would just rip with dbPowerAmp and then transcode FLACs in CueTools which would happily recognize the encoding and spit out 24-bit FLACs instead…

1 Like

Gentlemen.
Can we please try to stay on topic here.
Which is s recent MQA development and not the mechanics of MQA.
Thank you

5 Likes

The spin that the parrot is not dead will be going on for some time.
“Administration can be initiated by either the creditors or the directors of a company. A company in administration is either insolvent or about to become insolvent.”
From the UK business site.

We don’t know what will happen with MQA. Hopefully it will survive. Nobody is forced to use it if you don’t want to.

1 Like

Hi Jim,
I don’t see it like that. If you do not want MQA, but the music has been processed by MQA at the source, you will never have the same file-contence as if it wasn’t MQA-processed. So “Nobody is forced to use it if you don’t want to” isn’t really the case.

3 Likes

It is sad to read this thread.
…Tidal is bigger than Qobuz so MQA is not dead. Big enough to keep the dead parrot nailed to the perch for how long?
…administration is not bakruptcy…so everything is good. Actually administration means that company is insolvent and cannot pay creditors. Administration is just the way of managing bankruptcy. Google it.
…MQA equipment will still work. Of course SACD players still work, as well as my Atari

All of this is just irrelevant. What is relevant is that MQA business model is dead. It has been dead for some time.
No one is going to do batch conversion to MQA of the recorded material anymore. And MQA equipment will be dropped.
As for Roon, we can only reflect on the development effort that would otherwise go into the product new features and improving reliability.
The reason MQA will be gone? They pretended to solve problems they solely invented, pro audio equipment companies knew that and have never paid any attention to MQA. And fundamental dishonesty of their business model: forcing proprietary solution on users through the deals with the recording and streaming companies. That created a lot of pushback and prompted serious validation of their “technical” claims. It did not help that Bob Stuart tried to obfuscate any way he could.

2 Likes

What I said is accurate, and still stands. MQA isn’t winding up, and bankruptcy doesn’t apply to companies in the UK. There is a significant difference between insolvency and making losses.

As I said, we have to wait and see what happens.

1 Like

You should quote a bit more from the same website. Administration is bankruptcy protection, plain a simple, it says it right there.
But this is becoming a bit unserious. Are we saying that MQA is a viable business at this point? Would you buy MQA shares?

"You can put your company or limited liability partnership (LLP) into administration if it’s in debt and can’t pay the money it owes.

You’ll be protected from legal action by people or organisations who are owed money (‘creditors’) and nobody can apply to wind up your company during administration.

Administration can mean your company doesn’t have to pay all its debts in full - but your company can still be wound up."

MQA Limited does not hold the IPR for MQA, and we don’t know the terms of the four hundred or so agreements in place that almost certainly cover insolvency. Moreover, the issue for the company is cashflow, not its ability to pay creditors, i.e., they are seeking new investment, which may or may not be successful.

So, those who have an interest in MQA will have to wait. For me, it doesn’t matter, since I have a single MQA release from 2L, stream via Qobuz, and have Chord DACs.

You have expressed an opinion about MQA, which is fine, but this thread is not about the format but the current legal and financial developments for MQA Limited.

1 Like

fwiw, Qobuz is a loss making enterprise, and dependent on the French government to stay afloat.

it’s still a wonderful service, as is Tidal, and MQA. I use all three daily.

4 Likes

MQA’s Administrator filed a progress report. No external investors or purchasers. There may possibly be a management buy-out, but the Administrator explains that they would need to fund working capital and it would need approval of the main creditor, who is owed over £20,000,000.

1 Like

Here’s the administrator’s report.

Link isn’t working for me on samsung tablet.

First link ‘Statement of administrator’s proposal’

1 Like

IANAL. Can someone post a TL/DR or, even better, an ELI5?
(I do love my acronyms, though :wink: )