Discussion on the ownership of uploaded photos

No. Roon has 250,000 images. You can’t try to find your work or the images you own in any reasonable way.

If I purchase the rights to 10,000 photos and try to make a licensing business, how do you suggest I police Roon?

Is there a canonical source of copyrighted imagery against which to scan?

Let me correct that for you: we have a quarter million licensed images behind our paywall.

No, I don’t. I agree that the whole system could be better.

Nothing changed here with Art Director. Kurt Cobain’s photo existed before Art Director and is licensed.

That concept doesn’t make sense. You’d need a database of copyrighted content, and then you’d still need a way to distinguish @Jeffrey_Moore uploading his own photos vs someone uploading them. And it still won’t catch the Kurt Cobain situation.

2 Likes

Exactly Danny. This is why other companies have opted not to do this.

I have my site constantly scanned for CSAM because it’s the right thing to do. It’s crazy that the technology exists for this, but it’s a bridge too far to compare images of Milli Vanilli with known copyrighted material. I’d venture to say that 99% images people want in Roon, was professional shot and the rights holder would like remuneration.

You’re taking advantage of this because the technology doesn’t exist to stop you. The need to publish these photos was so great, that harm to rights holders be damned.

3 Likes

…and again, you keep going with this strawman argument. The rights holders are not damned. First, the vast majority of these photos are already licensed. The remaining few have a mechanism if there is a violation.

2 Likes

You need to take reasonable measure to prevent copyright infringements. So only having an after the fact mechanism does not seem sufficient?

1 Like

This depends on the country and its laws, presumably Roon has a lawyer or two at the office.

1 Like

Can such a question be raised to any web forum in general ? Like when we upload Roon photos to Audiophilstyle ?

(I’m probably missing the key point here anyway) :grinning:

2 Likes

To explain how screwed up this system is: by US copyright law, screenshots of Roon are copyrighted by Roon Labs LLC! It’s true of all software screenshots.

@ComputerAudiophile installed something to help filter out CSAM (really? was there a lot of CSAM on your forums?), but isn’t enforcing copyrights beyond doing DMCA takedown – or at least not for known copyrighted photos of third party software.

1 Like

It reay strikes me that Roon team is using the argument: “that is just how things work”. I think, as a community, we should all be striving to make this word a better (in this case more just) place. There is no excuse to use this kind of shield.

You really should devise a way of licensing yourself the images. People could point to you the images that need to be licensed, or something like that.

But please, please, don’t hide behind this kind of argument. That is such a massive turn down.

1 Like

Ok Danny I’m out. This is ridiculous to me. We end the same way we always do, disagreeing :~)

1 Like

Untrue, we license the vast majority of photos, and we want people like @Jeffrey_Moore to upload their own copyrighted photos.

2 Likes

If you want to make things better the solution is to change the laws that all companies have to abide by.

Making arbitrary rules makes it impossible for companies to work under, they need clearly defined laws.

2 Likes

Maybe the artist can use the MQA Authenticator and approve pictures :grinning:

1 Like

I missed this one, since it’s a question I’ll just reply.

We haven’t had any CSAM, but I wanted to make sure there isn’t any hiding somewhere I don’t know about. I worked with NCMEC to get access to its API and have all images on my site scanned.

OK. Happy holidays.

3 Likes

I think I might have misread this line of yours.

I really do believe you are a good guy. I really enjoy your acid sense of humor. And I really do believe you want to do good.

Maybe a step back for at least a reflection, and maybe a commitment to work things out better for the future. This is all I thing most people reacting here are asking.

Bad enough Roon wants their paying user base to do more “crowdsourced” (ie. free work) for them that they then feed back to those same paying users, or that they hide behind the limp market-speak of “community” in order to entice some effort for their latest idea, now, they’ve seemingly elected to cower behind gaping holes in existing copyright law in order to reinforce and strengthen their own offering, so that they may then turn around and sell the improved product to new customers.

Putting some verbiage on the site that is, in effect, a nudge, nudge, wink wink rings hollow.

What percentage of your user base do you genuinely believe is going to know the proper usage trail behind the photo they just Googled, right-clicked, and uploaded to the site? Well, they’ve now made us aware of the issue, so, I guess Roon is in the clear on this one.

Feigning ignorance, while placing the burden of ownership rights on the user base, is weak.

3 Likes

Sounds like you missed the point.
The issue is crowdsourcing material that’s copyrighted, not crowdsourcing itself.

As Chris said, “The alternative is to license the content the way you already do, rather than crowdsource copyrighted material and wait for the takedown. This seems like encouraging infringement and the model that asking for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission.”

While you may disagree with this personally, let me assure you there are many who love this idea and find it a joy to contribute. In the alpha testing of this, a user wrote this:

I must say that the Valence Art Director has become one of my favorite toys. Because for me, music is not just about listening to it, but also about presenting it.
Here some visitors have already marveled at my home. But unfortunately, I could not persuade anyone to choose Roon until now.
There are many players that can simply play music (even if in high quality). But exactly here Roon builds the bridge.

A lot has been done at Roon in the last years.
The synchronized lyrics were a huge step for me and if that with the images then still works as it is planned, Roon is almost perfect for me personally.

I won’t point them out since it was in a restricted area of the forum and they may not want their name published here, but if they want to chime in and take credit, they can.

The community has been huge for us, and we heavily involve the community to make a better product. You seem quite sour about this. Is it so hard for you to believe others genuinely care?

5 Likes

Hard disagree (respectufully) on the community angle here.

I love being able to contribute to projects like this, we all benefit from just a fraction of the amount of work each.

Yes it improves their product, so what, I use that product and I like the improvements. Its an optional exercise, don’t like it don’t do it.

One of my favourite recent features and I hope they go much further like with the meta data, genre related stuff etc.

2 Likes