Discussion on the ownership of uploaded photos

@danny
I was asking in original thread, but I try again.

Why can’t we be allowed to also help adding links to artists homepage, instagram, and other things the artist control themselves. (Hopefully they’re in charge of something).

That’s fair, thank you for your response.

You are, of course, entitled to either agree or disagree with my assessment. It is, after all, simply one opinion.

I guess my main issue, at least when it comes to participating in this crowdsourcing model is this:

If I edit my own metadata locally, I’ve done work, on my own time, and for my own library. If these things become more commonplace in Roon, I am, of course, improving my own experience, yes, however, I’m also now spending time doing work on behalf of the financial interests of Roon.

It just, personally, rubs me the wrong way. Again, YMMV, and, that’s OK.

1 Like

Which is fair enough, i agree if you feel that way you should avoid contributing.

I just love the idea that someone who loves a band has spent time curating information and images and they have submitted it, i get to see them.

I basically benefit from your knowledge of your favourite artists when i stumble on them, to me thats awesome.

But evidently some people feel differently and thats fine :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Don’t know if this has been said already. But I suggest Roon puts a banner before the upload page and tells users to only use copy free (don’t know the legal term) photographs.
Hypothetical question: what will Roon do if users upload pirated photographs? Will this have any ramifications for the user? This should be clearly communicated. Thanks.

The fact that any just about any criticism of your software is quite often met with some variation of “weIl, other users love it” is meaningless, and shows a thin skin. Not every one of your customers thinks it’s the bees knees, and they count just as much as the ones who do.

As for personally caring, I’m on your community forum. If I didn’t care, I wouldn’t bother. Thinking that only those who praise you, your company, or its software care is baffling.

As for the issue of the photos, you seem to feel that because you pay for a quarter of a million licensed photos, this somehow entitles you to an unlimited number with which to buttress your product. That simply feels wrong.

If I paid for only 60% of my music library, I’m not entitled to the other 40% for nothing because I was really cool about paying the first 60% of the artists.

Why not let all of your users send me their collections so we can “crowdsource” our libraries?

5 Likes

Hey, you can come over to my place anytime and we can benefit from each others knowledge of our favorite artists…I’ll pour! :grinning:

If its whiskey, I’m in :grinning:

1 Like

I’d speak to people like pixsy and see if there’s a way to integrate their service, for example. There are others in that space.

You are extremely wrong. See Sherrie Levine.

2 Likes

it’s coming…

4 Likes

Get over it, I would say. I think it’s great we can volunteer to do little things to help everyone in the community going forward. It’s about giving back. People do not need to do this, but I like to help out. That’s why I volunteer at a local school sometimes and very regular at our music venue… There is great satisfaction in giving back… I want Roon to survive and if my small efforts help them make a great business providing jobs, opportunities, joy and even money, then I’m in…

8 Likes

Let’s see how Gattoni v Microsoft goes. AFP v Morel was a bloodbath for AFP. That, as @Charles_Peterson already pointed out, most photographers can’t afford to be as litigious as record companies or movie studios can doesn’t make you right.

2 Likes

Thank you for your volunteer efforts at your local school. I think giving back to your community and its children is a fantastic endeavor, and I commend you for it.

I don’t see Roon, as a for-profit business venture, as being in a comparable situation, but, that’s fine…to each his own.

1 Like

Admittedly off-topic, but, yes…for me, it’s always only ever whiskey. I don’t drink anything else! :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Thanks for the appreciation, I do however enjoy Roon and appreciate all the work that goes in to the development and maintenance. Business is a two way thing and should be a win/win situation… In my life as self employed, I look after my customers and they also look after me. They often, bring me drinks, cook me food, give tips etc For my part I try to be straight and honest with them give it more service than they pay for. The principle means that all my working life, I have never had to advertise.
I look at voluntarily giving Roon some assistance in the very same light. I accept others may not agree but that’s how I like to roll… The more you give, the more you get in many unexpected ways… Stay safe with this bloody virus…

5 Likes

Thank you, Chris. I do like the cut of your jib. Good man, you are…stay well, and happy holidays to you and yours.

1 Like

Trying to tackle this is almost completely unworkable. If this was the bar you need to cross before you can put artwork or photos up then you’d have a very small and terrible set of data. If you license artwork and/or photos from labels (or even lyrics from publishers) the contracts are written so they grant you a license “to the things they own”. It’s written this way because they have absolutely NO IDEA of what exactly they own in this area. So the only way to tackle this is 1) do not put anything up without clear license and provenance – and then you’d have a terrible product. 2) build a competitive product to Getty where photographers and other artists license their graphic works directly to you and you pay royalties when they are used – this is a non starter for Roon IMHO or 3) do what Roon is doing and allow crowdsourced submissions and then take down via the DMCA process if there is any issue. The will by far give you the best product and you might get a couple DMCA takedowns a year…

5 Likes

We can actually go further than just DMCA. For example, if we find a user who has uploaded a lot of copyrighted work, we can remove all their uploads preemptively because we know what he uploaded.

I was looking at some of the uploads in the system because we had a massive influx of anime uploads. When I looked up the user on Google, he is the anime artist!

Roon users are a fantastic bunch.

1 Like

@danny Why not at least require the user to include a comment when they upload an image that refers to the source and copyright information. For example at fanart.tv you have to provide comments with the following requirements:

Copyright infos need to be added in the Comments when uploading the image. (1. If the image is a Promo / PR shot from the band\'s official webpage, social media or record company, then a link to the source is required.2. If the image is from any other source, then a link to the source AND the name of the copyright holder is required).

4 Likes

I realise that copyright law is exceedingly complex, and I may be missing something fundamental, but saying people can upload any images and we’ll comply with DCMA takedown requests seems very similar to saying that lI’ll happily receive stolen property but if anyone asks I’ll give it back.

I realise that the person uploading the copyright images is the one most at fault but surely it needs to be strongly discouraged.

3 Likes

You can do that but I don’t think it’s necessary. In order of things music owners care about it’s recordings/lyrics/artwork/photos in that order. Photos is the least valuable thing. We crowdsources lyrics at Gracenote and had thousands of them for which we had no idea who the owner was. We put them up and took them down via DMCA if necessary but the number of DMCA requests we got for even those was a handful a year. With photos I’d frankly be surprised if anyone ever had an issue and took the time to file a DMCA. Your example of the anime artist uploading his own work happens because most often, those who take the photos (or create the art) love to see them out there and used and view it as promotion. I’d be as expansive as possible at the beginning. You can constrain if you learn anything but again I’d doubt you’d ever have much or any issue. This is just my opinion, but it is grounded in a lot of experience in this area.

3 Likes