Discussion: Sound Quality from Synology NAS running RoonServer

You’ve installed RoonServer on this machine?

Because of the improvement in SQ made using linear supplies on the NUC as well as the NAS, I decided to try out buiiding a small linear supply, a 12VDC @ 2A using a LT1085 regulator to power my ASUS gigabyte wireless router, please note my connection to NUC is via gigabyte LAN. I notice some improvement in SQ when playing back from NAS, but Tidal streaming get the most boost.

Some may not agree but in my system setup it does make an overall improvement in SQ. I think those cheap brick wall switching power supplies has quite amount of switching noise and eventually get its way to the DAC.

And how can a power supply change the Bits and Bytes your NAS sends over LAN?
Did it also change the text if you access the directory listing of your NAS?

The Tidal stream comes a long way over thousands of kilometer of different cables and overair submissions, passing thousands of switches and routers (each with a cheap power supply). Why do you think changing a single power supply in this long chain is capable of making such an audible difference?
My scientific education is crying in pain, sorry!

It’s not that I don’t believe you feels an improvement, but I think you fall to the classic “expectation shapes the result” problem. You want to hear an improvement and so you hear it. It’s a kind of placebo effect and that it really works is scientifically proved. But it’s all only in your mind.
It’s only human, but the bad side of this is that meanwhile a whole industry is build around this placebo effect.

2 Likes
  1. Ethernet as a standard requires galvanic isolation at the jack.
  2. Data transferred over ethernet isn’t timed, it is delivered as packets, buffered and used as needed on the receiving end.

With those 2 pieces of information, do you really think changing a power supply on a NAS has an audible difference? If you do, I have a very special NAS I’ll sell you.

2 Likes

You don’t have to do. There are hundreds of companies that do this kind of thing with very special prices and a bunch of audio websites and magazines that support this practice. A shame that this works in a socalled educated society.

Yes I agreed, the transmission is asynchronous but we are taking about switching noise gets its way to the DAC. It is switching noise not timed or jitter we are taking about.

What did I say in in my first point?

How should it get to the DAC? Not over the ethernet line. If it do this, you should use WIFI (no physical connection, so on the save side) :wink:
If it is over your electric circuit, you have a long way to go, because “switching” in such a small power supply is nothing against you fridge and other big power consumers in your home.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I hope I don’t want into another debate but I’m trying to reduce or get rid of brick wall switching power supplies in the chain. From the NAS, the NUC and the router so all run from the clean low noise linear power supplies before it gets converted in DAC.

Like you, I didn’t believe it will make significant improvement in SQ but when my colleague brought over his linear power to try out on my system, I was simply stunned.

Yes I agreed using WIFI connection vs ethernet connection can help to prevent switching noise go through, however, I don’t have a fast wireless connection to dump large music files to my NAS, so I rely on gigabyte ethernet LAN to do the job.

Switching noise through what?

I think I should start a new business.
What is missing in all the audio stuff are audiophile routers.
My audiophile routers can improve the sound quality of every streaming service on a big scale.
Music sounds clearer, with more air, more depth and all curtains are removed (did I miss something?).
And all that for under a thousand bugs.
A great investment in audio quality!

What do you think? Sounds like a big success story.

Addendum:
Keep in mind to not use this great audiophile routers with your old cheap cables.
In our shop you can also order our new gold plated, washed in virgin blood, special customized ethernet cabels for only 200 bucks the meter.

Hey NOA

Keep us posted on the results on this. That D1 Twelve with the NAS and RAAT is complex and makes my head spin trying to figure the flow.

When the MacBook is out of the system, what are you using to control Roon?

Ethernet provides galvanic isolation for the signal but not the earth. That’s why Auralic reccomend a Wi-Fi connection between a router and the Aries.

Ok. I need some help understanding this. Galvanic isolation and the earth?

Is this an argument for wifi and not ethernet to carry audio to a streamer?

Hi Tom,

yes will do. I’m traveling at the moment so will proceed from next week on.
I use an iPad Air to control the RoonServer.

There were times when scienctific education was telling everybody that the earth is a disc.

1 Like

there are countless fora out there where people discuss / argue these points ad nauseum. Can those wanting to have the debate please take it there and leave this forum to discuss Roon, the software.

6 Likes

Sharing the EXPERIENCES made about Roon running on different hardware IS about Roon, the software.

Those who strictly have prejudice that different hardware with same software cannot make different sound are not obliged to participate in this topic here.

If you were talking performance, UI etc. yes, however, sharing the realisation of one’s expectation bias has nothing at all to do with Roon…you can just as well be discussing Machina Dynamica’s teleportation tweak.

1 Like