Display options for an external wide display (1920x480) - Customised Web Output or Roon Application

Roon Team!

I am hoping for a solution to my problem, perhaps it already exists!

Setup:

• Lenovo HTPC running as Roon Server
  • Roon Client installed on my primary Windows PC in office, MacBook Pro.
  • MiniDSP SHD as my primary roon endpoint connected to my primary amps/speakers
  • Lenovo HTPC and SHD are colocated and plugged into my router

Desire:

• SHD has a small display with limited information. I want to create a small/sleek screen on top of the SHD to show key information (Album Art, Song Details, Progress Bar, File Format)
  • I have a 1920x480 HDMI display which nicely matches the SHD form factor (arriving soon)

Options/Issues:

• Plan was to run the display from the HTPC Roon Server
    Option 1: Roon App - Roon Software does not work at this resolution, and I am unaware of a Roon ‘Now Playing’ widget or similar companion app. Even if the application displayed, there is not great customisation to setup the Now Playing for a wide display.

Option 2: Roon Web Display - This approach should work. I have tested this at the target resolution. It is functional, however obviously not optimised for a wide display, and I am unable to show alot of information. Even if I had CSS skills - I am not sure what data (file formats etc.) is even published from Roon. But I assume with some CSS it could at least be partially optimised for the widescreen resolution (ie: Album Art on LHS as large as the vertical resolution allows, remove band photo, put the Artist/Track/Album on RHS, waveform beneath)

I do not expect/require any control from this display.

I know I’m trying to get premium streamer features from a lower end device - but any thoughts or guidance on any plugins or companion solutions would be great!

Image: Current View of Web Display running at 1920x480 - not bad, but not optimal, and not much information

Image: The kind of target end state

Have you thought about a Google Nest Hub 2nd gen?

I believe these, being Chromecast displays will allow you to set it as the display screen with Roon.

Not 100% perfect but Version 1 of the Web Controller looks better to my eyes:

If you want to give that a go it’s in the Extenstion Snapshots section of Roon Extension Manager which will probably be the easiest assuming the HTPC is running either Windows or Linux: Installation · TheAppgineer/roon-extension-manager Wiki · GitHub

There’s also a 2.0 Alpha but might also provide a nice looking result: GitHub - pluggemi/roon-web-controller at alpha. It does the blurred out artwork like the Roon web view I believe. More info here: Roon Web Controller 2.0.0 ALPHA now available - #2 by Tech_Whisky_Lab

Unfortunately neither is still actively delveoped so there is always the risk they stop working and might have the odd bug but worth a shot if you like the look of them.

EDIT: Actually you can do cover art in V1 as well, I forgot settings exist :smiley:

That looks great! Let me have a look, thanks.

I did make some (slow) progress modifying the CSS for Web Display, but this looks like a good option.

No worries. As it happens I went looking again at 2.0. Looks like a few community members have kindly tweaked it to work and with a few improvements for text on smaller displays. Persuaded me to upgrade. I think it does look slightly nicer:

It’s from this build: Roon Web Controller 2.0.0 ALPHA now available - #85 by Munich

Also a side note but Roon’s classification of Tomb Mold as “Pop/Rock” feels like they are underselling it slightly based on what I’m hearing :smiley:

Haha I lol’d at that as well. Roon classification of some genres is super deep and nuanced, apparently not so in Metal :slight_smile:

My RoonServer is running on Win10.so will how the install goes.

OK Installing this looks a bit harder than I anticipated - any key tips or guidance here?

Got it all setup - obviously a lot more capabilities than what I really needed, but it does look better out of the box! Would be amazing to be able to get the track, bitrate type information - but this is a step forward.

Would be great if the Roon Dev Team could create a customisable Display option to have some control of what is shared via the built-in display capability.

2 Likes

Screen arrived @Will_Moore . Bit more CSS tinkering and final result. Pretty happy - thanks for the help. Learnt heaps.

1 Like

Glad you got there and looks fantastic to me! The web display and related options do seem to power some lovely lower cost solutions for nice displays on set ups. Getting tempted myself!

But more tinkering with the layout. Longer playing bar, left justified text, removed the control buttons. Display is a touchscreen and they work, but with phone and SHD remote I’m not going to use this as a controller. Pretty happy now.