Display options

Could you not place a cheap android tablet on the stand instead and set it up to show the Roon ‘now playing’ web page?

You can use Fully Kiosk Browser to force it into ‘kiosk mode’ (so that the browser and now playing page is loaded on startup) and to allow it to be controlled remotely or to un-dim when approached.

btw. while an Amazon Fire tablet might seem like the perfect solution, especially when combined with the ‘Show Mode’ stand, they can be slightly more glitchy to use with Fully Kiosk when remotely unlocking the home screen, compared to a normal Android tablet.

If you want it wake / sleep on playback that’s a bit tricker, but can be done. I use Home Assistant as I’m using it already for the rest of my home automation, if you we’re setting up HA purely for this task it’s probably overkill unless you like tinkering and have a weekend spare. But other than enabling the Roon and Fully Browser integrations it’s simply a case of creating a basic automation to wake or sleep the display when music starts or stops.

A Google Nest Hub would seem like the ideal device but it looks like support is patchy to non existent. Also the Nest Hub Max (which is the model that seems to work) is fairly costly just to use as a Roon display, a used android tablet would come in far cheaper.