Google Nest Hub as a Roon Display

So is there still hope for a fix or are we supposed to give up? Does anyone know the root cause?

I would like one, but it has to work with Roon.

1 Like

Any indications this may be fixed/improved in 1.7? I didn’t see anything in the release notes, but may have missed it.

EDIT: Answered my own question… Nest Hub display still stops after 15 minutes or so.

There’s a workaround to get it to display Roon again, but this isn’t ideal, as it drops the display again after a certain amount of time.

Basically… once the hub drops the display, go into the Google Home app on… in my case… an iPad, click on the Home Hub device, then click ‘Stop casting’ button, bottom left. Then go back into Roon and ‘Start Display’ again.

1 Like

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Rev 2005/ Intel NUC CPU:i7-10710U 32GB RAM Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2 / Roon 1.7 build 555

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Unifi Security Gateway / Unifi Switch 8 POE 150 / Roon Core connected to physical port configured for Roon network.
Unifi-AC-Pro APs x 3 broadcasting same network as Roon Core on wireless 2Ghz/5Ghz and hardwired into Unifi Switch 8.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Chromecast Ultra x 2 / Cast Firmware 1.42.183786 / Wireless
Nest Hub Max / Cast Firmware 1.46.203796 / Wireless
Nest Hub x 2 / Cast Firmware 1.46.203796 / Wireless
Dell Laptop / Windows 10 Rev 2005 / Audioengine HD3 / USB
NAD T 758v3 BluOS / Wireless

Description Of Issue

Issue displaying album and track info on all Nest Hub and Nest Hub Max Chromecast devices.
When selected individually, ROON logo displays, album info and image display 1s-2s, disappears prior to music playing with image replaced by generic “Playing Roon”.
When Chromecast Ultra’s are cast to individually, no problem displaying album/track info.
When Chromecast group containing all the above Chromecast devices is selected in Roon, all display “Playing Roon” with no album or track info.
Rebooted and restarted Nest Hub devices and Roon Core with no change.

Hello All,

I have shifted some posts into this feature request topic for better tracking of users who are interested in having this feature added.

The Google Nest Hub is not a supported platform at this time, but please do provide feedback here if you would like to see it, as our product team and developers keep a close eye on this category, so #roon:feature-requests is definitely the best place to propose a change like this.

As @dylan mentioned, we can’t provide any firm timelines but if you are interested in using this device with Roon, please let us know! Thanks!

Interested. :slight_smile:

interested 2 :slight_smile:

Interested too!!!

Defiantly interested.
I understand why the track information cannot be displayed when the home hub is used as an audio end point. Roon is sending the audio data as one big live stream because it is making changes to the audio such as volume leveling/bitrate conversion. Other apps have this problem too. But using the home hub as just a Roon display does work for a few minutes and just needs tweaking to stop the hub screensaver cutting in. Unfortunately, the hub does not have an option disable the screensaver/photo frame. Roon just needs to keep sending the cast data as other apps do.

2 Likes

Interested

Interested

Count me in…

1 Like

Please fix the home hub Roon display issue!

Very interested!

Definitely interested. Works great for few minutes and then it stops the first time Google forces news on the screen.

Interested too!

I guess asking for +1s is an exception to the rule. +1.

Hi, the next hub max already works as a display already works. Not sure about the regular model.

The Mini does not.