Display shows connection failure, yet still working

Have a Raspberry Pi 3 and display, and been running RoPieee for a few years now (over a wired network). Over the weekend, it started showing “connection failure”, but was still streaming to my dac/amp. I rebooted, still same. Updated, same. I even built an unused Pi 4 I had, but still the same.

I had another RoPieee (without a display) running in my workshop, so I reflashed it and hooked it up to the display. Now it’s doing the same thing. I have tried both wired and wireless with the same results.

I submitted the diagnostics info, and here is the unique id: 56726799a9f21719

Any ideas?

Usually connection failure is related to the Roon Control Zone not being exactly the same as is what is defined on the display tab. I’d suggest ensuring that that entry is identical (copy and paste to be sure).

And, I’d check to make sure the extension is enabled in Roon settings.

It is. It’s weird, as I’ve had it up and running, with no changes, for several years, and all was fine until a week or so ago.

And it was connecting, as it was streaming from my NUC to my dac/amp, but the display said otherwise.

Displaying content is separate from streaming audio — two different configs, as a common use case is to display content that is playing on another endpoint (like something attached to your stereo).

Are you sure the Display tab is set correctly? And the extension is enabled?

I get that all the time on mine.
I’d try either checking that the extension is properly setup in Roon or just reboot the RoPieee.
Sometimes I have to reboot several times before the connection failure screen goes away.

Are you running the latest version?
And can you send me feedback when this happens, without rebooting the unit?

thanks

Yes, latest version. I have it check for updates every night.
I will try to send you FB next time.

Yep, it’s correct. And it was running fine until a week ago.

Can you take a look at the diagnostics for mine? 56726799a9f21719

I did not receive your feedback.
Can you try again?

FYI, mine was doing the same thing after the last update, but it seems to have settled down now.

@Brad_Cowell, just to be sure, would you check your network to ensure that there isn’t anything crazy going on? If feedback didn’t reach Harry, sometimes that means the Raspberry Pi is having basic networking issues (which could explain the connection failure issues). Perhaps re-validate the ethernet cable, and reboot your switch / router.

I don’t mean to be offensive to sugggest to check – sometimes things happen.

1 Like

Just rebooted my device and got “connection failure”.
Rebooted again and everything was fine.
This is common for my setup. Sometimes it takes an additional (3 total) reboots till I don’t get the connection failure screen.
I sent feedback: 222e2c07197056bc

Are you sure you have re-enabled the extension after the leatest update?

When I get the no connection screen, I look in Roon. No extension is even listed.
I reboot, everything works fine, and the extension is now listed and enabled in Roon. I didn’t touch anything.

Can you send me feedback, when it happens, without the reboot?

Having the same issue here. Started from scratch with new SD card for an RP3. It works just fine but the 7" screen says Connection Failure. I’ve check to make sure the zone is correct under Display and re-booted several times. Again, the system streams audio to my DAC just fine. But the screen says Connection Failure.

PS: This always worked before, but doesn’t work even though I loaded an SD card from scratch.

Are you sure that the extension is enabled in Roon, and that the Roon Control Zone is exactly the same?

What finally fixed mine was to rebuild from scratch again, but this time I named the zone something different than before, went in and enabled the extension, and it worked.

Thanks. That was it. I had the extension enabled before, but when I just checked it, it was not enabled. I guess you have to re-enable each time to make a change to Riopeee.