DIY or reasonably affordable Roon-compatible transport

One other question:

If I use an Intel NUC with ROCK installed, I take it that it’s possible to disable the Roon server aspect of the ROCK installation and simply use it as an endpoint? (I already have a server and just need an appropriate endpoint.)

I’m still a little confused by the separation (or lack thereof) of various Roon software installations.

Mike

You could, but, that would be an overly expensive endpoint.

If all you wanted was an endpoint, you could go with the Pis, or if Linux made you nervous, you can get one of those 150 dollar PCs, hardware, Windows, RAM and Drive all in, and just load RoonBridge. Like this one

It would not work for a RoonCore but would be just fine as an endpoint.

Just as a follow-up to this thread, I ended up getting an Intel NUC 8i3BEK and added a 8GB of inexpensive memory and a small M.2 SSD.

I’m pretty tech savvy, but had expected some challenges in installing and configuring ROCK to do the job. I was wrong. It was dead simple with the available instructions, and once I figured out that I needed to enable HDMI 0 on the device using a Roon remote, everything is good to go!

My receiver confirms that I’m getting high-resolution (96 and 192k) inputs. I think I may have found an answer to the future of my 15-year-old Squeezeboxes!

Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

Mike

2 Likes