DLNA/UPnP client alongside ROON

Awesome, @Dan_Knight. What are your thoughts on moving to the Allo GUI image if one has been managing the standard version just fine (with the Allo DigiOne). Any improvement other than convenience?

Hi,

Basically the main difference with the Allo GUI image:

• Selection of preinstalled software for audio usage
  • Ready to run, no setup required (aside from soundcard selection)
  • Web interface to control various system, software and audio options

Its mainly targeted towards non SSH/term users, but the web interface does add convenience and even a few little gems (netdata stats).

I now have four RPi3, all with unique network names and addresses, running v159 and gmrender. Audirvana sees only one device called ā€œDietPiā€ (a name that I am NOT using) which, when selected, works just fine with my only MamboBerry HAT equipped endpoint. This device also happens to have the first IP address numerically (xxx.xxx.xxx.100) among the four. No others are available to Audirvana. If I shut down that one working device, the ā€œDietPiā€ setting causes a different unit to play.

Any ideas about how to fix this?

Hi,

The friendly name can be changed in the gmrender service file:

edit the following file:

/etc/systemd/system/gmrender.service

Where you see -f DietPi , change the name accordingly.

Reload systemD and restart services:

systemctl daemon-reload
dietpi-services restart

More info:

root@DietPi:~# /usr/local/bin/gmediarender --help
Usage:
  gmediarender [OPTION...] - GMediaRender

Help Options:
  -f, --friendly-name               Friendly name to advertise.

Thanks, Dan!

-But I have little experience using Terminal (a command line app) on my mac beyond ssh logins. The Help and Application Options text doesnā€™t help me much. Please tell me how to find, edit and save these filesā€¦

No worries :slight_smile:

To edit the file:

nano /etc/systemd/system/gmrender.service

Once opened:

• Make your changes to -f DietPi (eg: -f AnotherName)
  • Press CTRL+X
  • Press Y
  • Press Enter

Then continue to restart services as per previous post.

Now weā€™re cooking! Thank you very much.

Will future versions also change GMediaRenderā€™s friendly name when a user changes their network name?

1 Like

Not currently, your gmrender install will be untouched during DietPi updates.

However, if we need to patch the installation in the future, we will reinstall and reset configs, which will render your changes NULL.

I canā€™t say when/if this will happen, however, no plans to patch gmrender currently.