Do Ethernet Cables Make a Difference in SQ?

I spent a fortune drag racing and flying airplanes…but it made me happy.

1 Like

Agree, I’m not concerned with anyone else’s spending either. My main point is that I am also a big believer in the listening aspect. We might agree to disagree with how to “use” the listening aspect in our decisions, but otherwise I think we’re mostly in agreement. And yes, enjoy the music!

1 Like

Thanks, I needed that …“those who can actually hear” :rofl:

2 Likes

Larry I am with you on this struggled to find out why but there are definite differences and have done this double blind
Also adding optical bridge adds to improvement

For those who think a good quality cheap Ethernet cable sounds the same as audiophile grade Ethernet cable you are dead wrong.
I know for fact I started in my Roon Nucleus setup with already good quality Ethernet cable -MeiCord Ethernet cable, 1m about usd70 from my Modem to router then to Nucleus, listening for a month. USB was QED ethernet 1.5m worth usd40 from Router to Nucleus.
Then I upgrade my usb cable to a very nice Synergistic Research Atmos X from Nucleus to DAC, cable have ground wire to wall.
Improvements was much better sound, better separation instruments, smoother less harsh, more define vocal & drums.
Then I upgraded again from MeiCord ethernet to Cardas Cat-7 worth usd300. Improvements was immediate, a little harsh new but better resolution. & now 4+ months run-in improvements overall is obvious, smooth yet solid resolution even for a non audiophile ears.

USB cable is not the same as Ethernet cable! I am not sure if I understand you?

Of course it sounds better. Look how much it cost. If it cost more, it has to sound better.

4 Likes

My point is that audiophile cable even ethernet cable do improve sound quality, providing the rest of your system is of audiophile quality. An expensive Ethernet cable in a regular system say costing $5k probably will not have a audible difference.
But when the rest of the system is up to the task then you will hear a difference & if you choose cables wisely then you can enhance the sound quality.
I have been upgrading my system for over 20yesrs & I consider my system to be of audiophile quality:
Audiocom Oppo 205 Signature
EAR 868 preamp, NOS Telefunken tubes
ATC P1 amp
Shunyata Research Denali power conditioner
ATC scm20sl, Sound Anchor stand

1 Like

Your knowledge of Ethernet is also of audiophile quality. Happy listening.

8 Likes

There is absolutely nothing wrong with placebo.

1 Like

I agree. When listening to music, perception is everything.

I guess neither of you gents will be willing to spend $120 on an audiophile Synergistic Research Blue fuse either, cause fuse is fuse right? They should only cost $2 to make

Unfortunately, you will not find what you seek here or on any other forum. You will get 2 groups of responses. Both of which you have already received.

1. Digital is ones and zeros. Ethernet is buffered and error corrected. Therefore, there is nothing you can do in the way of cables or switches or routers that can possibly make any difference. Anybody that says otherwise is a fool who has been sucked in by those selling snake oil.

2. Everything matters. Thousands of audiophiles who have tried a variety of cables and hardware have found sometimes profound differences in sound quality. Those who say otherwise have their heads in the sand, have lead ears, or have systems that aren’t capable of resolving the obvious differences.

So the answer is… , read up on it and continue to explore as you are doing now. . Look at the various options. If you want to try it, buy used gear/cables you can easily sell if you find they don’t make any difference for you.

These “debates” are actually worthless as nothing can be proven here and for most their mind is made up anyway. The ones who are particularly annoying are the ones who look down their noses at you and mock you if you can’t come up with a “scientific” reason your claim is valid. Why? We’re talking about how the human brain perceives and interprets an external stimulus. To date, nobody has figured out how to measure or quantify that. They smugly dismiss anything they don’t understand or think that science is so far advanced that anything that can be measured is being measured… They are so advanced and educated that they don’t even need to give it listen, they know in advance how it will come out… now there’s a fool.

4 Likes

You are absolut right. I will never spend this amout of money for such audiophile vodoo.
Ask an electrician how a fuse works and how the environment of the fuse looks like and you also are not willing to pay more than $2.
A good scientific education helps saving a lot of money.

2 Likes

$2 to make? Try 20 cents.

I like being told that I’m dead wrong before even offering an opinion. I guess it saves me thinking for myself.

Great answer

Thanks nrwatson… my point is readily made by the group mocking those who use so called “audiophile fuses.” I guarantee you none of them have tried one because they know in advance they can’t possibly make a difference. The advice to “ask an electrician” as proof is hilarious. Your typical electrician may be highly skilled at what they do, but most don’t have have a clue about what is going on inside an electronic device. I also bet most of them will explain the operation of a fuse in terms of electron flow, which is worthless for actually explaining what is happening because of the very simple fact that electrons do not flow.

That said… I am also highly skeptical of these fuses and many other things that audiophiles swear by, but I’m not going to dismiss it out of hand until I try it, which I probably never will do. I do know enough about electronics to know that there are things going on at the molecular and quantum level that we simply don’t completely understand, and asking an electrician to validate my prejudices doesn’t prove anything.

4 Likes

No competent electrician will talk about it in terms of electron flow, because they don’t care about electrons. They care about current, and will talk about current flow, and resistance. Both virtual quantities. Fuses are designed to allow only a certain maximum amount of current flow.

I encourage you to actually go out and meet some electricians, and find out who they really are. Probably be good for you (just my opinion).

1 Like

My audiophile fuses experience goes back about 15 years ago when I tried a Hifi Tuning silver fuse, about $40ea in my NAD T-760 AV amp. Since than I have been trying them on pre & amps with great results.
About a year ago I started trying Synergistic Research Blue fuse (current top of their line) in my preamp & immediate improvement was heard. After about running it for about 150hrs+ improvements is like upgrading a major component ie preamp or amp.
I never bother to fully understand their technology behind it, but I know what I hear.
Simple way to prove, take it out & put back the stock $2 cents fuse to compare.
Now I also upgraded my amp, AV amp & even subwoofer amp to these SR Blue fuse:))
This is what I do, research on stuff audiophile rave about, then try them to see if it’s true or is it snake oil. I do agree some of the so call audiophile stuff are snake oil or simply overbuilt & overpriced. But I believe the market price is always right, otherwise most of these companies will be out of business

1 Like