Do Ethernet Cables Make a Difference in SQ?

Imagination is a very powerful thing.

To believe otherwise would be to call yourself a fool.

“No competent electrician will talk about it in terms of electron flow”

Ok, whatever… taking a small part of what I said and ignoring the rest adds nothing to the conversation. Electricians and what they believe to be true about all of this is really a distraction from the overall conversation and the only reason I mentioned it is somebody used them as subject matter experts to validate their point about fuses all being the same.

Ignoring electricians for a moment, after many years on various forums it is a given that many, many people who try to dismiss or explain what is happening in electronics use current to do so, and they almost always use it in terms of electrons flowing through wire like water flows through a garden hose. This is fundamentally wrong.

Back to electricians. My apologies if I was incorrect in my assumptions about how they think about electricity, but my overall point is valid. The average electrician is in no way qualified to explain the effects of various fuses in an electronic circuit. They can tell you what the function of a fuse is i.e. over current protection, but there is no way they can explain how that actually happens. Given that a fuse has to have a certain amount of resistance, inductance, and capacitance along with the fact that as stated before, on the deepest levels we really don’t understand what is happening on a molecular and quantum level, asking an electrician or pretty much anybody else to validate your opinion about fuses based on the idea they are simply there to protect the circuit from excess current is a fools game.

Likewise, all of those dismissing various cables and switches because digital is just a bunch of ones and zeros are over-simplifying things.

I am not sure if I want to get into the fray here. I would like folks to just test the Cable Matters Cat 8 cables. You can get them on Amazon for about $14 depending upon length.

Not a major investment for a test.

OF course we could start a thread about how software changes sound also…

We all have different value on different things in this world. For instance Some would think a Casio is just as good as a Rolex, coconut oil is as good as LaMer, VW is same as a Porsche, all apple is the same🤔

Thanks god audiophiles exists. Without such people qualified enough to understand the mysterious mechanism how the world works, we have to rely on scientiest or experts. Lucky us.

2 Likes

Not realy, but I would never claim, that the same packet delievered in a porsche vs a vw has a more satiesfiing content. But that would be what audiophools would discuss, if porsche and vw would be part of the audio world.

4 Likes

“Thanks god audiophiles exists. Without such people qualified enough to understand the mysterious mechanism how the world works, we have to rely on scientiest or experts. Lucky us.”

That is the classic definition of a straw man argument. I never stated that audiophiles are anybody else for that matter are qualified to explain the “mysterious mechanism” of how the world works. I stated that electricians as a whole are not qualified to do so, and trying to prove a point by putting them up as subject matter experts on the physics of fuses is not a valid position . Taking that and twisting it into the idea that another group is qualified, is by definition, a straw man.

Has anyone seen the latest Darko episode? Spool forward to 14:20 and think to yourself “I hope he doesn’t mean me!”

:+1:well said in the Darko video comment, I agreed totally what he was saying because I too have actually tried, experience & uses many gears, cables, tweaks, etc in the audio industry

You’re right, your kit is entry level ATC, mine isn’t and I don’t hear these magical differences switching Ethernet cables, USB cables or interconnects for that matter. Same on my headphone rig. Neither do others that have listened to either or both.

1 Like

I compared an ÂŁ80 amnd a ÂŁ250 one, none of which really sounded any better than my ÂŁ8 BJC. What little difference there was, cetainly was not worth the extra cost, YMMV but to say anyone is dead wrong, is also dead wrong.

Maybe not, but they’d probably know that a fuse is not an electronic device.

1 Like

Lol… entry level ATC scm20sl you’re saying?this tells me how much you know about audiophile speakers,

1 Like

Ethernet data is buffered, error corrected, and ultimately re-clocked before it ever gets to the DAC. Consequently it cannot affect SQ the way a USB, SPDIF, or analog interconnect can. That doesn’t mean that an inferior ethernet cable won’t cause problems, but if you are not getting dropouts in your sound, a more expensive cable will not make a difference.

I’ve used a large number of these https://www.pchcables.com/neteup.html for years without a single failure.

When I got into digital audio, I compared them to a few moderately expensive audiophile ethernet cables and was unable to hear any difference. With USB, SPDIF, and interconnects, I’m able to hear differences between almost any two different cables.

Spend your money on speaker cables and interconnects where more money usually does lead to better sound.

Not really, VW is far better than Porsche. If you live in a snowy region, you will know.
In your previous post, you also mixed up USB cables as Ethernet cables!

Yes, as my speakers are SCM100ASLT and my preamp a SCA2 your kit is what is what I’d call entry level ATC. But good you can hear all these wonderful differences, imagination is a powerful thing.

You miss my point & left out the important part about everyone value is different on different things. For snow conditions, a Jeep or Range Rovers would be far superior to VW or Porsche. If money is not a concern then a Porsche Cayenne is superior to a VW Tiguan.
I have driven in snow a lot in the pass, worse case was a 14hrs drive in my 1984 VW GTI only snow tire no chains from Calgary to Vancouver on snow 2/3 the time foggy 2-3 car lengths view with 18wheelers trucks hauling ass in front & behind me:)) that was scary .
The point to bring up a usb cable because it was part of the process I was in & that USB cable was also use for transmitting digital data. 10101010…

FYI an ATC Scm100aslt would sound crabby in my small 140sf living room with too much low frequency where my scm20 would stomped all over your scm100aslt if your spk were place in my room.
FYI My scm20sl with sh25-76s ATC current best tweeter use in their top line spk. P1 amplification is the same amp use in ATC active spk range (professional line including), the 100aslt with the bigger bass driver uses a more powerful amp, same as P2.
Only their top speaker EL150 need to use their even more powerful & better P4. And I had the pleasure of auditioning this setup in a friend house in Changsha China.

and your point, apart from limited understanding of ATC topology, is what exactly…