Do Ethernet Cables Make a Difference in SQ?

Atc sca2 preamp is not a preamp of choice even with ATC speakers for most audiophiles. There are many in same price range that are better.
My point is to prove that your comments about audiophile ethernet cables makes no improvements because I sense your experience in audiophile equipments or cables is lacking

I’m devastated, truly devastated that I don’t make the grade as a fellow audiophool.

so define an electronic device.

I was talking in terms of a device like a DAC, preamp, etc, but in one sense a fuse is a specialized resistor designed to burn up if the current exceeds its rating, If it is not an electronic device then neither is any other resistor.

However, it never ceases to amaze me and how tiresome it gets when others like you don’t want to talk about the topic at hand which is , can these devices whether they be fuses, wires, cables, etc. affect how a system sounds. You also ignored my reason for bringing it up… which was to point out that using an electrician as a subject matter expert on fuses and how they relate to sound quality is pointless. You and others just want to cherry pick a few words from a post and then attempt clever put downs while ignoring the overall topic.

The reference above to the Darko video was spot on. Some people want to discuss, some people just want to pick apart other’s posts and argue. Some people want to latch onto some small fragment of a post and nitpick at it while offering nothing constructive, sound familiar ? Do you actually have anything constructive to say or just want to sit on the sidelines and make snarky comments? And that is the reason I seldom post.

Good day

But it’s all related!
Some try to show that in theory or technically how electronic works & result can be measured & compared therefore making more expensive gears unnecessary.
Funny thing is different design with different materials yield results that different person would prefer different (or my opinion better) gear, therefore cost more.
Instead of making comments like ‘imagination’ or calling others ‘fool’ when himself is not even knowledgeable in the topic
Ps. An important point to note when comparing ie. ethernet cables or any audio use cables is to give it time to run-in before judging. Especially ethernet cables where only a very small current passes through require long hours run-in before the true potential reveal. Brief connection of 2 new cables for comparison usually cannot brings fair results

Time for another link to this…

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/valley-of-audiophile-ethernet-cables/30251

We are talking about Ethernet cables here. Not cars, loudspeakers and USB. I sense your knowledge of Ethernet and how it works is lacking.

1 Like

Could you please explain the scientific background for run-in in ethernet cables. What did change over time? I understand the run-in in the past with tubes, but with a digital cable it is beyond my understanding.

1 Like

Ethernet cables does not need run in/burn in.

3 Likes

Amazing grasp on just about every audiophool cliche though. Not only must you get audiophile (in this case read audiophool) Ethernet cable, but it must be burned in too.

I’m out, no point trying to have a sensible discussion with someone living in a parallel universe.

3 Likes

No, they do not make any difference in SQ.

1 Like

I’ve heard a 1000 times let it run in…but at what point in time does it ever run out. Does it just get better and better and better…until what?

2 Likes

Until your head explodes.

1 Like

You make disparaging remarks about electricians and then cry foul when challenged. A fuse is not a resistor; it is a non-active (passive) electrical component. Unlike a resistor, which is an electronic component, a fuse does not control current.

If anyone claims that an audiophile fuse can make a difference in sound–or picture–quality then these extraordinary claims should be substantiated.

I think they can. But turning this around, can you explain how an audiophile fuse works? Or for that matter audiophile Ethernet cables?

3 Likes

I pointed out that being trained and even being an expert in one area does not make you an expert in another area i.e. being an electrician does not necessarily make you competent to remark on the action of fuses in electronics. You classify that as a disparaging remark?

As far as "substantiating claims… I made no claims. I merely pointed out that those who do make the claim that fuses. wires. etc. make no difference because they haven’t seen any measurements or science to back it up, are ignoring the fact that we simply don’t understand this as well as they would like to think we do. There are things going on at the molecular and quantum level that we may never understand. So to base definitive conclusions (fuses make no difference because you can’t prove that they do) is to assume that everything that can be known is known, which is the same thing you are asking for “these extraordinary claims should be substantiated.”

.so no, I do not claim that these fuses or wires do make a difference. On the other hand, I have no basis, and in reality neither does anybody else, to claim that it is impossible for them to do so.

BTW a resistor is also a non-active (passive) component, and since it does have a small amount of resistance it does affect the current. It is not unreasonable to assume that inserting anything that affects the flow of energy into a device will affect how it operates. The assumption by many is that that a fuse has no effect until it opens, but that isn’t true. It has electrical properties (resistance, capacitance, inductance) like every other component and wire, connector, switch, etc. in the system.

Small amount ?? of course
So small it has absolutely no effect ?? I guess that is the debate

so lets’s be perfectly clear about this. I am not claiming that these things do have an effect. I am claiming that those who definitively state that it is impossible for them to do so can’t back that up any more than those who claim that they do… EXCEPT… those who say they do have an effect have actually tried it and listened to the results, how many naysayers can claim the same?

And yet, 99% of the people who argue against Ethernet cables would argue against speaker cables and ICs just the same. In fact, against ALL cables. Perhaps you are that 1%

Does anyone get the impression that half of these people who hear differences in ethernet cables / optical cables / fuses etc are just Internet trolls enjoying baiting us all in to an argument?

I don’t think you are right about that statement, even so, does it bring something to the Ethernet discussion?

There are a lot of statements about what other people think of other things than Ethernet in this tread. Please.

I went to doctors today for a physiical and he removed some wax from my ears.This has made a great imrovement in SQ

1 Like

A sound investment.

Huh? Speaker cables (analog) are a completely different thing than ethernet cables and the delivery of information via ethernet. I don’t personally know anyone that doesn’t think that speaker cables can potentially have an impact on sound quality.

1 Like