Do I need a Dragonfly as an Endpoint?

It’s not just an opinion. This is what Roon Labs say in their own knowledge base. Have you found a better way to do it than what Roon Labs says here?

If so, please share. :slight_smile:

I was reading about Roon HQ Player and followed links, most of which I did not completely understand. I started looking at my system in the audio Roon section. I had seen Dragonfly listed in some audio setup images.
As I have Audioquest cable and Jitterbug, I was curious if I needed the Dragonfly. I was unaware it was also a DAC.

1 Like

I want to thank everyone for the valuable information. My NAD DAC is working fine. I have no issues with the sound quality. I will look further into the above information. I learned a lot about Roon today.
George

4 Likes

Ah, OK. Be careful following those links. There’s a great deal of misinformation floating around these audiophile forums, and most of it seems to be designed to sell you things you don’t actually need.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I am researching the “streamer” concept opposed to what I am doing.
George

Somewhat as an aside, but if you use Tidal and/or Qubuz, a Dragonfly streaming from an iPhone makes a great “away from home” listening experience. I spend two weeks every other month away from home, so this is what I use. Of course, you need a healthy cellular data plan. You also need one of these and a good pair of headphones.

EDIT: And, just to add, when away from home using this setup instead of a “future” Roon mobile system, I’m only using cellular data, not cellular “hotspot” data. I’m also only using data to stream music, not metadata. I can view the metadata when at home.

2 Likes

If you want to improve sound quality, you should consider your analog devices instead of a new DAC. You didn’t say what speakers you were using or what your listening space was like. Changes in these areas will yield much more improvement than a new DAC.

1 Like

Take the copy on streamers with a hefty grain of salt.

If you go that path, buy from a place that will accept your return when you found out a streamer doesn’t improve SQ.

1 Like

The only reason I moved Roon core from a Windows 10 Dell XPS 15 laptop to Roon Nucleus was for convenience and reliability, not SQ. I also, previously, fooled with a Node 2i (before Roon), but return it the same day I bought it.

If you wanted to try an Audioquest Dragonfly, just order one from amazon and return it if it does not sound better than the DAC in your integrated amplifier. One thing that the Dragonfly will give you is MQA decoding from Tidal. Here is what my ears tell me (which does not mean it is true for your ears). I had an NAD C 368 (which is a different beast from your 356) and compared the following. Speakers are B&W 607s with SVS SB-1000 sub in small room.:

1. using the integrated DAC
  2. using a dragonfly Red $200 new
  3. using a dragonfly Cobalt $300 new
  4. using Pro-ject Pre S2 Digital $400 new
  5. using Ifi Zen DAC $129 (with latest firmware that has the new filter on it)
    #'s 2 through 5 can be “borrowed” from amazon for your listening pleasure.
    #4 and #5 support DSD, #2 and #3 do not
    Endpoint is a raspberry pi 3b with ropieexl

All #2-5 support MQA. Not to debate whether MQA is good or bad , but I think that any current product should support it.

My thoughts from my ears:

• All the external DACs were better to my ears than the one built into the NAD. NAD was weaker in the mid and bass with clear but non-engaging treble to my ears
  • Personally I could tell little difference between #2,3,4, so winner = dragonfly red due to the lower cost
    I think that the Zen sounds different from dragonfly Red, a bit warmer perhaps.
  • So I returned 2,3,4 to amazon, bought a dragonfly red on ebay for $135 and kept the Ifi Zen. Sometimes I listen with Zen sometimes with Dragonfly
  • Ifi Zen with version 5.3c firmware is very nice for the cost. I recommend everyone interested take this one for a spin
  • I compared running off the rasberry pi to running of a PC. Could definitely dell the difference the Pi is better

I recommend people not abuse the Amazon policy on customer returns. It is not intended to be a “borrow and try” system, especially if you have no intention of buying from Amazon.

3 Likes

The Apple USB-C to headphones adapted actually measures better than Dragonflys:

It doesn’t matter how something measures, it matters how it sounds. Actually, my Sony WH-1000 XM3 headphones connected by bluetooth to iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tidal or Qobuz sound as good as anything.

What is wrong with testing and sending back? A lot of audio shops offer a deal to try their audio stuff, because the only way of a good comparison is on your own setup and that is especially the case with dacs. I don’t think that is abuse, this is how buying audio gear should work.

That is true, but why pay 200+ dollars if you can get the same (or actually better) performance for 10 dollars. (Dragonfly vs. Apple USB-C dongle) Apple Dongle has better SINAD, Lower Noise and produces more power to drive headphones and costs 20 times less.