Do power cables make a difference to sound quality?

Because a power cable is a piece of wire, while a good PSU is a relatively complex electronics device.

But surely, if we follow the ā€˜flat earthā€™ approach, a Lingo and a Radikal should sound identical, as they ā€˜measureā€™ the same? Yes? After all, all they do is rotate a belt, that rotates a platter? Hell, the power supply is even ā€˜isolatedā€™ from the platter in an LP12 via an elastic band. So why should they sound different?

The same applies with power cables. There may be no measured differences between two cables, but they may indeed sound different.

Are you confusing function with measurement?

Iā€™m the one being ā€œflat earthā€?

Let me try to explain this again. You report you hear a difference. Those who embrace the scientific method believe you, and come up with a hypothesis about why you hear that difference. They conclude that the most likely hypothesis is that thereā€™s no known way that could be happening, and that youā€™re imagining it. But because they are true children of the Age of Enlightenment, not holdovers from the faith-based belief systems of medieval times, they admit they could be wrong, and are willing to change their mind, if presented with solid evidence.

4 Likes

The radikal is DC with a dedicated motor and the Lingo is AC with the original motor. Itā€™s not as simple as them being the same power supply that measures the same.

PS not a great idea to discuss the LP12 with me, I canā€™t stand them or the silly upgrades they sell. I use a properly designed DC motor based TT that doesnā€™t require endless upgrades.

Some power cables are a piece of wire. Others are more.

Yep. Mine have insulation, too!

2 Likes

// off topic comment: This was wild exchange. I forget listen to music and had to go 4 tracks back :smiley: (meanwhile checking on ā€œAudiophile SATA cablesā€ which is same story as here :crazy_face:)

But surely, as long as the platter rotates consistently at 33.3rpm, with minimal wow & flutter, then they should sound identical? Especially since nether motor is directly connected to the platter. Right? :wink:

I donā€™t think you understand how TTs work so Iā€™m going to drop out of that subject.

And some have directional arrows :slight_smile:

1 Like

The ā€˜evidenceā€™ is in the listening. Or maybe not? It depends on your own personal findings.

I know full well how turntables work. Iā€™m just using this analogy to reinforce the notion that pieces of equipment may sound different, even though they may ā€˜measureā€™ identically. And that also applies to cables, IMO.

Why bother with insulation, thereā€™s no difference with or without it.

The difference will blow you away, literally.

1 Like

I disagree - there may be no perceived difference, however the real difference is heart-stopping.

3 Likes

Are you trying to be sarcastic or just ignorant?

Power cords are simple to compare. Power cord A goes into your right amp. Power cord B goes into your left amp. Run a mono signal to see which you prefer. That too difficult?

I knew I paid too much!

Well, I know Iā€™m ignorant!

I work in cardiac electrophysiology and Iā€™m not sure