Do power cables make a difference to sound quality?

I get this. It’s taste. I have at my disposal a monster integrated with a tube preamp stage and a a solid state output stage that can drive ridiculously difficult speaker loads to hearing damaging levels. I also have a Benchmark Media AHB2.

They sound subtly different - my speakers incorporate some of the lowest distortion drivers available and are easily capable of resolving the differences, but despite the measurable differences the audible differences are subtle.

With tubes, second order harmonic distortion dominates. Many find this a more pleasing, relaxing, laid-back sound. I have no truck with someone preferring tubes over transistors, despite measurements.

It’s like preferring Chardonnay to Sauvignon Blanc.

It still doesn’t explain claiming to hear differences in power cables. The last few feet of copper makes a dramatic difference to the sound of your hi-fi when that power has been transmitted via aluminium overhead cables, a multitude of transformers and switchgear through tough pitch copper cables?

Detailed measurements show that power cables can make no audible difference, so the only other explanation is human bias.

4 Likes

The key bit here is “In all of these examples the subjects can be analyzed by scientifically calibrated instruments to analyze their contents and produce accurate results”. This is key, because there will be a measurable and objective difference. What you make of that difference - your subsequent preference - is entirely up to you, but it doesn’t change the fact that there is a real difference.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the case for cables, no matter how expensive they are. So yes, by all means go ahead and perceive a difference, but you can’t go on from there to claim that there must be a concomitant and objective difference in the cables. Well, not unless you’re prepared to offer up some verifiable data by way of proof.

3 Likes

Somehow no conversation about tuning collars. Plenty of fodder for the measurement only crowd.

I just got this as a loaner from a friend. Sharpie for scale.

Is it venomous? Looks dangerous…

7 Likes

That cable has the word “stealth” written on it. The non-stealthy version must be huge :wink:

3 Likes

This is key. The “hifi data scientists” assume I feel the need to proof or verify my findings by data. But the truth is that I don’t care that your opinions differ from mine. Because that’s what they are, opinions. I posted my findings about the subject and got tricked in a discussion that’s meaningless to me. I will spend my time in a more enjoyable fashion, listening to some good tunes.

Ah, but I’m not stating opinions, you are. Read this, it might help (with thanks to @killdozer for posting this article in another thread).

4 Likes

What do we think about the various filter implementations of DAC chips in well-measuring units? Should we care? Are there good measurements on resampling on NOS versus sigma delta chips? Or, has everything regarding digital playback been resolved?

2 Likes

The effects of different filter implementations are easily measurable. Both in terms of frequency response and in the effect on the shape of a square wave.

It’s 2022. Digital playback is a solved problem.

2 Likes

Cool, that’s what I thought. What’s your favorite,?

1 Like

Who tricked you? You claim to be able to hear differences in power cables. Objective measurements and science say otherwise.

You brought a knife to a gunfight.

Indeed. Shame we can’t say the same about electricity and power cords. Oh, wait …

2 Likes

Honestly, I can look at waveforms on an oscilloscope and see the differences, but the audible differences are almost entirely imperceptible. I’ve tried every filter on every DAC I own and I struggle to reliably and repeatably hear any perceptible difference. I turned 52 today and my hearing tops out at 16kHz. Maybe it’s not resolving enough…?

2 Likes

I “hear” you::sunglasses:
My ears suck, I’m 53… however, I don’t have a lot of issues noticing differences in HQP filters. I am not trying to bust your balls, just saying that maybe, maybe, it’s not all said and done.

1 Like

I’ve not played with HQP, so I don’t know the extent of filter effects. Most DAC filters IME are pretty much indistinguishable from each other.

2 Likes

“Tuning collars”? That must be audiophool speak for ferrite rings. Used to attenuate high frequency noise on signal cables. On mains cables…? :rofl: #Science #Engineering

2 Likes

This is very good question and maybe can be extra topic (not pushing you to open :wink:).
I studied a lot and from technical perspective I prefer linear/ fast roll off but I could never identify any difference. Maybe due to playlist, maybe due to my hearing, maybe it’s not audible in usual audio signal except for sharp/squared waves, I don’t know.
Anyway I want to learn and discuss this. Should be good if people propose some tracks with time or other description what and where they hear differently using filters so I (we) can check.

2 Likes

There is no technical at this point. I mean, there’s math with how things get reorganized, how the waveform is reproduced. Measurements only tell most of the story, not all… or, I’m an idiot (highly possible:)

Blah blah blah… Did you open new topic already or what? :upside_down_face:

Dude, I’m all good, open whatever you want.

1 Like