Do power cables make a difference to sound quality?

Perhaps Edison was right - should have stuck with dc…

… then we wouldn’t need the fresh electrons that new power cables introduce.

1 Like

Power cables do make a difference. My system sounds better with power cables.

11 Likes

I call shenanigans, the noise floor is so much better without them though.

Sheldon

2 Likes

My system is totally wireless…no wires at all, and I hear nothing nasty at all. It’s so inky black I can’t even tell if it’s even on sometimes :crazy_face:

Just tried something new…turning off all the lights…everything disappeared. I think I like it.

2 Likes

I’ve only tried the regular stock UL approved 14AWG shielded and unshielded cables of the same length connected to the Torus. I’ve read that due to the UL requirement, the drain wire/shield is connected at both ends. I went back to all unshielded and things sounded fine again. There was something off sounding with these shielded power cables.

Most audio manufacturers making power cables suggest to only have the shield connected at the wall end, as to drain the noise away from the component. I’ve also read (although very rarely) of connecting the shield only at the component end (NOT wall end) so it acts as an extension of the chassis.

I’ve asked people/manufacturers on how to know which end to connect the shield with a particular component and never really gotten a response back. How do you determine for a particular component, which end to connect the shield to and either drain noise away from the component, or extend a component’s chassis? :thinking:

1 Like

Please read this (he explains it simpler words than I could)

https://www.emcstandards.co.uk/cable-shield-grounded-at-one-end-only

3 Likes

That wireless AC to components is a Killer technology (Thank you Tesla !). I absolutely LOVE it, as it removes another trip hazard.

Thanks. Will give it a read.

Power cables that cost more than 10/20 Euro/USD are a fraud. The big lie is that expensive power cables hugely affect the sound. The ads tell you that if you pay $499 or $995 or some such insane amount for a specially designed super cord, you will get a bigger soundstage, better transients, tighter bass, smoother highs, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah. Amazingly, quite a few nonthinking audiophiles with deep pockets buy these fantasy cords.

Now, just think about it. The AC current comes into your residence over miles and miles of wire. After it enters the walls of your house or apartment, it again traverses huge lengths of BX cable or similar wiring. After it comes out of your wall outlet through the power cord and enters your amplifier or other equipment, it again goes through a maze of wiring before activating the devices that affect the sound. So, tell me, how does the electricity know where the nondescript lo-fi wiring stops and the super wire—just six feet of it—starts and leaves off? Does the current say, hey, I’m coming out of the wall now, the next six feet are crucial? Come on. The power cord represents an infinitesimal fraction of the AC current’s total path. Even if the wire in the power cord were so much better, it would have to be stretched all the way back to the power station to make a difference! It’s pure bull on the face of it; no science needed. The fact is that any power cord rated to handle domestic AC voltages and currents is as good as any other. The power cord that came with your amplifier or receiver will give you optimum performance. If you have to buy an extra one, just make sure it’s thick enough in gauge for heavy-duty equipment. If you pay more than a few bucks, you’ve been had. Besides, your audio circuits don’t know and don’t care what’s on the AC side of the power transformer. What they’re interested in is the DC voltages they need. But that’s engineering science…

6 Likes

You can listen to the ads or you can listen to your system. There are no ads out there to forbid you for trying for yourself. You may be surprised.

The DC quality is directly dependent with the quality of the AC from which is generated.

Which it looks like you do not know to much about it.

3 Likes

You can, and you might believe you hear a difference - spending $500 or more is a powerful incentive to hear the rewards of your investment - but by what strange physics defying voodoo can an expensive power cord possibly make a difference? I’ll be honest, I haven’t listened, but I very much doubt I’d be surprised if I did. What does surprise me is the huge number of audiophile products that fly in the face of common sense and the established theory and practice of physics, electronics, computing and pretty much any other contemporary science that might be even vaguely relevant.

6 Likes

Can you please explain, why the last meter can make any difference after many kilometers of cheap cables you cannot change. I am curious.

3 Likes

I’m a civil engineer with a masters in electronics, but I might be wrong of course… If you’re in need of a religion, who am I to keep you from your believes.

3 Likes

The principal determinants of sound quality in your listening room, given the limitations of a particular recording, are the loudspeakers—not the electronics, not the cables, not anything else. This is so fundamental that I still can’t understand why it hasn’t filtered down to the lowest levels of the audio community.

4 Likes

Please try yourself: with a blind A/B test. And then do that blind test 17 times (which is a statistical minimum). Now see if you get over 50%.

The reason for which you hear or not the difference it’s up to you. Now, I can’t speak for everybody/everywhere, but is not unusual for the dealers/stores to give you 30/60/whatever days for returns. So you can remove the money from equation, at least for an evaluation. Then, if you hear or not something…

I can’t and I do not really care. All I wanted to say is that the world is full with ads and snake oil sellers and the best way to figure out what is working and what is not working for you is to try it for yourself.

On the practical note, there are a lot of things that can happen on the last meter (electrical interferences both in and out, bad contacts and so on) and sometime a good cable makes a difference. Now, what is a god cable and how much someone is willing to pay for it…

1 Like

Then you should know that in the electric transport equation bad contacts/materials, bad shielding, bad isolation and so on, are all factors to consider. Some manufacturers are dealing more carefully with these and make better cables, others are not, hence why the 1m power cable can make a difference after 100Km of power line.

1 Like

They can reduce WFC (wallet friction coefficient) measurably

6 Likes

The principal determinant is the room. The next principal determinant is the synergy of the system, the way all the components are working together. Good speakers will never sound good with bad amps, good amps will never get the most of the music from bad sources and so on. There is a reason for which is called “audio chain”. The cables are a part of that chain.