Do regular (daily) restarts of roon have a negative impact?

Where do they state that. 250k was call-.us-impressed-country.

Audio analysis is done (successfully) for all files, identified or not. Essential metadata (artist(s), album, disc, track and name of song is provided with all my files. This is just ignored by Roon,

But even then Roon should not get stuck searching and playing. Looking up aomething in the background does not generate high load or whatever is going on there

Yep, but also definitely not something we test, though probably works, and you should have the most beefy hardware you can get. It’s not very clear language but not a promise either.

Unquestionably, though, if it worked before it’s not something you can easily take away from users based on this language.

For a perspective, I invite you to an old thread I created:

(My collection is now just north of 2.1 TB and I have ~46,500 tracks.)

And perhaps this particular observation within:

I appreciate that people have large libraries, but I think that Roon’s core audience is Types I and II; not necessarily Type III; definitely not Type IV. I think that Roon pre-supposes that people in those latter groups use other tools to manage their pending/non-listening collection, and I don’t think that is entirely unreasonable. Roon cannot be all things to all people.

2 Likes

Cant see what that has to do with it. You can be type one or two and still have a large collection, they dont dictate what size of library you end up with, also you might be housing collections thats from you and your family. I don’t have music thats just mine in Roon its made up from all of us. If your both music nuts and have different tastes its quite easy to have extremely large collections. I don’t see this being out of the ordinary really especially in the field Roon is aimed at.

My track count is small 30650 tracks and I have had issues for months . I don’t think I have any unidentified albums either

But yours were slow search or search connection errors and connection problems of the remote on mobile devices, no? At least that’s what I can see in your posting history.

I thought this thread is specifically about slowdown of the local Roon server/app. Or at you experiencing this as well?

Not sure what you mean to be honest. So when on the Roon remote app I have to keep shutting it down.

Another issue I am having is when I go into Tidal through Roon it can be painfully slow. Hitting an album used to open it immediately, now its very slow.
Also if I am playing an album and skip a track it can take up to 10 seconds to start playing again.

I follow this thread to as I am KEEN to hear from Roon on all of the issues at present :grinning:

I mean that there seem to be three separate issues at the moment:

1. Slow search / complete search failures. This was said to be (mostly?) a cloud server issue that needs to be fixed there (and was partially but maybe not completely).

2. iOS and Android remotes not connecting after sleep. This is the one where you asked in one of the associated threads whether Roon would say something about it, and I posted in response the link to another associated thread where Benjamin or Connor had written that they could reproduce the issue and are working on a fix. Clearly you are suffering from this one.

3. The Roon server and hence everything slowing down to a crawl with very large libraries, and/or many unidentified albums, and/or certain database structures like artists with more than 100 albums. I think this is the topic of this thread here.

I know that you have (2), you may have had (1), but I am not sure if you have (3).

As you posted here “My track count is small 30650 tracks and I have had issues for months. I don’t think I have any unidentified albums either” I just wondered if you have this slowdown issue (3) although your library is not large. I think it makes sense to differentiate the issues because, I suppose, most likely they have different causes and hence different fixes. But maybe you do have (3) as well, and then this might indicate either another issue (4) or that (3) is NOT just tied to huge libraries / unidentified tracks.

I might disagree. My collection is so large right now (and it serves three people) that I am not sure my family and I will ever get around to listening to all of it, and I am in the latter part of my fifties. In my estimation, the more you have beyond that, the less chance you have to actually get around to and listen to all of this music, because it becomes statistically unlikely - at least unlikely that will do it while in a conscious/awake state.

I might agree that what you are asserting is possible, however. It’s just less probable than it is possible, and Roon is designed for the former rather than the latter.

Would be interested to see the reports, if you are happy to share you can send to my server by just selecting Create Support Files within SongKong

What conclusions do you draw from these results ?

Are you assuming the songs that SongKong cannot identify are the same as the ones Roon cannot identify. This is not true for many reasons, both have access to MusicBrainz but SongKong also has access to Discogs and Acoustid Albums and Roon does not, Roon has access to AllMusic and SongKong does not.

They use a different matching algorithm so either may find a match in MusicBrainz when the other does not, although all evidence shows SongKong does match more to MusicBrainz than Roon. One important thing to note is that if you went ahead and applied the SongKong matches that Roon understands the MusicBrainz Ids that SongKong has added and as I understand it will then accept the match linked to the MusicBraiuz Ids instead of trying to find a match itself so your identified percentage in Roon will go up accordingly.

It’s designed and marketed for the super fan says so in their website. But it’s not up to the task of super fans collection. I just wish they were upfront and honest about its limitations for metadata and library size. As reading up you are led to believe it will give you the moon on a stick.

1 Like

I def have issues 1 and 2
As for 3 I am not sure if it’s my library slowing things down . I have no idea what’s slowing things down

I see your point though ……but I guess I am p……d off with Roons very slow response to all of these issues. It’s 2 months now and I feel a lack of urgency on their behalf

1 Like

I guess “super fan” is probably an equivocal notion. I certainly think I fall into that category. Perhaps Roon has unwittingly unearthed an “ultra fan” that they hadn’t realized existed (nor did I, for that matter, before lurking around in these fascinating forums with people whose music collections could go on no-repeat 24/7/365 for 10+ years…)

I think many people use Roon not only for listening but as a database for research/overview. And I would say that this is very reasonable (though the border between reasonable and unreasonable amounts it not well defined).

And the Focus tools are really nice for this purpose. But because Roon’s architecture has the unfortunate (though currently necessary) distinction between library and non-library content, and you can use the full power of Focus only on library content, you are kind of “forced” to put the albums into the library if you use Roon this way.

My library is also not large (45K) but I also tend to put many albums in my library for an overview of certain eras and genres, although I don’t really intend to listen to all of them. I’m just lucky that my deep interests are rather narrow, so I can do this without ending up with a 1M library :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another thing with streaming you have the ability to add so much music to your collection it’s almost begging for users to have bigger libraries. . What I would like to know is if the same caveats apply. I have quite a few albums that are not identified by Roon but do exist in Qobuz. As there is no metadata available in MusicBrainz or AllMusic does Roon treat them the same way as if I add it to my library it’s not classed as such yet adds no additional data like my own files? Or just because they are in a streaming platform it doesn’t go through the same matching mechanism.

I will say, it was frustrating, almost embarrassing, trying to have a NYE dance party using Roon as it was so slow between tracks. 90k tracks, NUC 7i5, 800GB of that local, wired ethernet. Next year I’ll be looking for a different solution.

Try a NAS! Just saying… :smiley: (Oh gosh I suppose you have to know me to appreciate that.)

Agreed. It would seem to me that there is a heckuva higher chance that streaming content will be recognized by Roon thru TiVo and MusicBrainz than the roll-your-own-obscure-imported-music type of content. But I could be wrong, and since I am not a streaming user, I don’t have first-hand experience.

Certainly insofar as 500 live recordings from a band archive (with a high likelihood that they aren’t on MusicBrainz or TiVo) aren’t going to be on a streaming service, so the chances that a Roon user adds them from there are zero :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ones I have don’t exist in either service but Roon doesn’t treat it the same in Qobuz or appears not to just because it’s a streaming tservice doesn’t guarantee it’s in any metadata service.