Do Roon backups contain music files?

Roon Library is stored on a Synology DS216play NAS. Found that the Synology DS1515+ also had music stored on the NAS. I am not sure how that was configured and working with Synology. (Two Synology NAS)

I deleted music files from the DS1515+ thinking the DS216play would be kept intact. That was not the case, all music files were deleted from both.

• imported music files from backup hard drive to
    Music\SAGE)(X:) Jazz folder

The files were also imported to Music\SAGE) (Z:) Jazz folder (The NAS’ appear to be mirroring)

• realized there is a Roon Backup function.

Does the Roon Backup contain actual music files? How should I configure storage and back up?

Attached are screenshots of the Roon pages and of the NAS configurations. Hopefully, it will make sense to people who are familiar with Roon core on a Windows 10 OS.(I apologize for the manner in which I uploaded screenshots)

![Roon%209|663x500]

Hi @George_Burrows ----- Thank you for the post and sorry to hear of the troubles with the mentioned NASs.

I deleted music files from the DS1515+ thinking the DS216play would be kept intact. That was not the case, all music files were deleted from both.

• imported music files from backup hard drive to
    Music\SAGE)(X:) Jazz folder

The files were also imported to Music\SAGE) (Z:) Jazz folder (The NAS’ appear to be mirroring)

• realized there is a Roon Backup function.

Does the Roon Backup contain actual music files? How should I configure storage and back up?

As it mentions here in our knowledge base, the Roon database is where all the information about your music collection is stored but not the actual musical content itself.

Have you created any backups of your musical collection that was being housed on the NASs?

-Eric

I attached a screenshot of where Roon seems to have been putting backups

?

I have all my music backed up and I have started to import back into the folder…
Do the screenshots help you determine where and how I should configure a storage and backup location?

Hi @George_Burrows ---- Based on your screenshots it looks like you have your scheduled backups being saved in the same location as where your music is being watched:

Backup:
28%20PM

Storage:
17%20PM

Backup:
07%20PM

Storage:
28%20PM

In regard to configuring your storage and backup locations I would recommend the following:

• For a backup location(s) I suggest following the the guidelines listed in our knowledge base here by not setting the location of Scheduled Backups to be within any Watched Folders. Keep the locations separate.

• For storage locations, that is really up to you. You have a few options when it comes to storage but it depends on what your preference is. The main thing to avoid is adding the same storage locations twice. This is how you will end up with duplicates.

-Eric

Thank You Eric,
If I need to move my catalog to another location, is that an issue? Also, can you have two locations/folders?
Thanks,
George

You can have multiple locations for your music and add all the various locations where you have music files stored so that Roon indexes them all and will add them to your Roon library so you can play them and tag them.

No problem @George_Burrows, glad to help!

If you are changing storage locations I strongly recommend following the instructions found here on how to move your music collection successfully without ending up with duplicates OR losing any edits etc you have made in the application.

Just to echo Jeremy (:+1:), “Yes” you can have multiple storage locations.

-Eric