Do router and ethernet cables affect sound quality?

That’s not just cynical, it’s foolish…

1 Like

Stick to vinyl, it’s less complicated.

6 Likes

Lets’s keep it civil people! Sarcasm and irony and good humoured ribbing is fun. Don’t sling insults please.

5 Likes

Good grief, @evand, don’t go there buddy. Magical slip mats, ball bearing isolators, natural rubber versus silicone drive belts, unipivot versus tangential arms and don’t forget vinyl cleaning methods and liquid recipes.

Snake oil aplenty there as well.

6 Likes

Michael Fremer [moderated] merely gives his best evaluation of products, and recordings, and gives you an honest opinion if it’s worth considering. But not once have I ever heard him suggest that you take his advice other than to consider a product. He’s leaves it totally up to someone to use his/her ears and listening skills to guide them to whether a product is good for them.

1 Like

This is worth quoting, from the last time this subject came up:

1 Like

I’m pleased you’ve picked up on precisely what I was trying to say Michael.

2 Likes

Not one of them has even almost suggested to have hearing of a young teen, nor is that even important in being able to critically listen to, and then precisely evaluate music. Only a couple of percent of music AT BEST ever exceeds 10kHz. The midrange is what defines good music. Get that right, and the highest frequencies are almost unimportant. And these experts hears those important frequencies extremely well. I wish you would stop making up things to falsely support your erroneous claims. The more you comment, the more you lose credibility.

Thank you for that post.

My initial post resulted in two really ugly responses. Thank you for yours. I think I’ll stay away!

This is largely an ugly thread: immoderate, disrespectful, frequently insulting and rarely helpful. It does no credit to any party, including Roon, although it does remind of their wisdom in never commenting on SQ issues.

3 Likes

And, evidently I don’t know how to quote a post, even my own.

1 Like

Can someone with a decent recording rig just record the output of a dac with cheap cables and then record the output of the dac with expensive cables and A/B the different recordings?

you could use audiodiffmaker for that, no recording rig needed, just need an ADC to capture outputs.

Looks like that would do the trick.

When I mentioned recording rig I just meant some sort of capture card with decent enough converters to not skew the results.

in theory the data would be skewed the same for bot recordings so probably no issue.

Does anybody have a ADC they could use to record the differences?

You know they won’t accept the result and you’ll just hear a howl of the things that matter can’t be measured.

I read some wrong assumptions here. When using TCP/IP protocol, yes then there is checksum and retransmitting of lost data. Your Excel spreadsheet is safe.
Music and video streaming services use UDP/IP or Googles „quic“ protocol. Less headroom, no checksum, no retransmitting.
That means that digital audio streaming can go wrong.

Just because you can’t hear any better sound quality when using better gear that doesn’t mean there isn’t better quality.

A colorblind could call me a liar because I am being able to distinguish red and green, while he can’t. So this difference is beyond his reality.
I am sure that we humans all have different hearing capabilities too, resulting in some hearing differences with audiophile cables and some simply not.

This is incorrect. And I’m not even sure what “less headroom” is meant to imply here.

UDP does coming checksumming, but it doesn’t matter because you’d never just use UDP raw. You’d always build on top of it.

Also, what streaming service or HiFi LAN protocol do you know of that uses UDP? They all use TCP.

But this is all moot as no fidelity changes come from a bad digital stream. Breaks in the waveform, yes… but not fidelity changes.

14 Likes