Do router and ethernet cables affect sound quality?

I was referring to your negative remarks about the “nonsense” in this thread. Not to your CD joke.

My point exactly.

I was making a joke. Some people appreciate humor, others don’t.

1 Like

If the average person can’t remember far longer than that, then it would be idiocy to listen to equipment in the search for the most accurate system you can afford. Trained ears, like reviewers, can remember for years.

I really doubt anyone could remember the subtle differences in sound with an ethernet cable swap for seconds, much less years, if even such difference exist.

3 Likes

It seems to me that there are broadly two groups in this debate:

1. Those who say that the engineering of digital audio systems ensures that cables or switches makes no difference to the output of a (properly-engineered) DAC, so the answer to the OP is no.

2. Those who say they hear a difference when they change cables or switches, so the answer to the OP is yes.

I think both groups are right and wrong at the same time. How can that be? Because they don’t share the same definition of “sound quality”. The first group take it to mean the fidelity of what comes out of the DAC, or alternatively what goes into someone’s ear. The second take it to mean what they subjectively experience when listening. Using their own definitions of sound quality, each group is right about what they say.

The first group is “wrong” to say that if there’s no (objective) difference then people can’t be hearing a difference or are “deluded” (not a word I’d use) if they do. There are many reasons why people might hear the same external sound differently, some of which have already been mentioned, and none of which detract from the “genuineness” of what the listener experiences.

The second group is “wrong” to say that if you don’t believe there is a difference or can’t hear a difference there’s something wrong with your system, hearing, or sanity. What they experience can’t be generalised to anyone else, because it depends on what’s inside their head as well as what’s outside it.

So perhaps the right answer to the OP is in fact to ask “what do you mean by sound quality?”

3 Likes

I use a fibre converter (not sure of the exact name for it but it consists of two boxes: converts ethernet to fibre and back). Supposed to reduce ethernet noise. Best solution is two-PC Jplay set up with Audio PC connected to Control PC directly by-passing ethernet traffic).

If you’re referring to the group who, despite being well into their 70’s, also happens to simultaneously claim they have the hearing of young teens and that their reference is “live music”, which they’ve listened to extensively, I’d suggest taking their statements with a grain of salt.

5 Likes

Since they also claim they’re testing for gear, and not for the room, it’d be trivial to verify their claim: double blind test with a piece of equipment they tested a decade ago and something they’ve never heard.

Let 'em prove the claim by identifying that piece of equipment.

Too difficult ?

Make it easier by letting them know what to look for (“One of these is a Matrix X-Sabre, the other is a Linn CD-12. They’re level matched. Take your time.”)

2 Likes

Not really, it’s natural for you to seek out like minded folk and dislike opposing views.

High end myths are equivalent to religion myths.

All believers cannot prove anything.

But they believe. Go figure…:smile:

1 Like

Do we really want to turn this into a debate on religion?

Just be Curious. Try it yourself and let your ears be the Judge. If you notice positive differences keep it. Let everyone has his own opinion and respect it.

3 Likes

To answer this question, try a thought experiment…

Your friend writes down a series of one’s and zero’s on a piece of paper.

He drives to your house.

You copy the one’s and zero’s from his paper to your own, you make sure they match.

Now… answer this…

Did your friend drive the piece of paper to your house in a BMW or a Yugo?

17 Likes

The answer to this age old question depends purely upon your role in the transaction: IF you are selling routers or ethernet cables, the answer is “Most definately YES”. IF you are buying routers or internet cables, then the answer is “Are you joking? Of course not.

6 Likes

Maybe we are approaching this from the wrong angle. I have found that not having router and ethernet cables affects sound quality profusely.

7 Likes

That’s not my point. My point is that there are going to be people of religion here that will not give switches ets s go purely based on what they read etc…however they believe in God with no proof… double standards

Seek out or not finding…big difference

You say a resounding NO.
[Moderated]
Yes there’s confirmation bias etc. but in my experience Ethernet cables do sound different and there are valid explanations having to do with noise and grounding and yes I know how the info travels through these cables etc… so fine, say in your experience no, or you don’t see any reason why they possibly could make a sonic difference but…

3 Likes

it’s not religion. Religion is “knowing” instead of listening.

2 Likes