Do router and ethernet cables affect sound quality?

That is, jitter cannot occur if network bandwidth is high enough? The documentation in the links above does not say that.

On the other hand, I can’t help but ask myself this question: If “audio data takes up only a fraction of the bandwidth in modern network systems” and not even jitter can occur, then how is it possible that so many streaming users meet dropouts? At what level is jitter in these users’ networks?..

1 Like

Packet delay variation can and does occur, irrespective of bandwidth. The point I was making is that there’s normally more than sufficient bandwidth to give the receiving device plenty of time to request dropped packets, reassemble the data into its correct order, and so on.

Insufficient bandwidth between the server and the client. If I’m trying to stream from a busy server on a different continent I may well experience dropouts. This has nothing to do with jitter or packet delay variation. Likewise, if my home network - my LAN - is misconfigured or poorly constructed or administered, I might also experience dropouts.

If you mean their LAN: if the LAN is configured correctly jitter and/or packet delay variation is minimal to virtually non-existent.

1 Like

This was more in the nature of a thought experiment. If one were to build an IT device to fix the jitter / packet-delay variation, how could you go about it? Clearly, the variation has to be removed. So you’d have to standardize on the longest possible delay, the max jitter, and buffer everything all the time until that max delay had been reached before sending it out downstream. So everything winds up being delayed (because you can’t un-delay a packet), and you need an indefinitely large buffer.

Wouldn’t you just need to set the delay to marginally larger than the mean delay?

If you were lucky and no outliers cascaded.

Fair point.

How important is to use a high-end ethernet cable on a NUC/ROCK who sits far away from stereo system?
I’m using for my last connection to my streamer/bridge a Wireworld Starlight 8 lan cable…but am I going to gain better result using an expensive cable at the other end of my house just between Nuc and switch?
Thanks in advance

I have an expensive cable and I can tell you it makes no difference.
I am sure a couple of people will argue (by telling you to listen to a cable that doesn’t make a sound).
But just buy a basic but decent quality cable and you will be fine.

3 Likes

I’m engineer not audiophile so…No idea :slight_smile:
I use an ordinary ethernet cable cat 6. I guess there is no audiophile internet/power cables outside your house

The last meter from EtherRegen to my streamer definately make a big impact/improvment.

2 Likes

What by using a really expensive cable on the streamer?
My only expensive Ethernet cable is on a streamer, but no point on the Nuc.
The NUC is not part of the music chain, it’s all data at that point.

I am convinced that for the connection between NUC and router / switch, the network cable has no relevance (as long as it is not defective and meets the specifications).
I guess the situation is the same for the connection between router / switch and endpoint / DAC.

1 Like

I’m not tring to start a debate about ethernet cable here but I know what I know and trust my ears.
I hear differences between LAN cables. I went from Neo by Oyaide to Starlight 8 and what I get is density,separation,air around instruments. I know it sound cliche but cheap Audioquest was darker sound and fuzzy like. My question was related to LAN cable location in system more than if a good ethernet cable make a difference.

1 Like

In which case buy an expensive cable and it sounds like you will be happy with it
I think @DanielAvasilichioaei is spot on though

1 Like

I only wanted to find out before paying for a cable…I thought some one tried this before me :slight_smile:

Many have tried it but most have not heard a difference from Roon to switch.
Maybe somebody who has will respond with their thoughts

Let’s ping @Brad_Burnside

I am happy with Cat6A cables from Blue Jeans which they individually test and certify for very few $$.

7 Likes

Good advice Brad, they are just good quality cat 5 & 6 cable and if tested even better.
They are very good value indeed compared to many that are 20x that price and more

1 Like

An expensive Ethernet cable is only part of the story, you need an even more expensive audiophile switch to really make those blacks blacker and soundstage wider. At this point you will realise it’s all for nothing unless everything is fed with linear power supplies, the more expensive the better.

5 Likes