Do router and ethernet cables affect sound quality?

OK, the Blue Jeans products by Belden are competently made to meet the commonly accepted technical requirements. Good stuff at a good value.

-But here’s where I run into intense shaming on this forum from people who feel a need to enforce the laws of physics in their world-view where everything is already known:

When I connect an expensive Ethernet “filter” cable just before my streamer that purports to eliminate RF and EMI which would otherwise obscure musical details, I hear an expanded and more precise 3D soundstage that justifies the cost. More of the recording is revealed.

Sharing this observation has been nothing but trouble.

2 Likes

I think I’m very happy with my UpTone EtherRegen :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Exactly what I’m trying to avoid.l…Lan cable debate.
Ups,my mistake,sorry.

Brad I am not one of that group, though I understand where they come from.
I firmly believe as long as you can afford it and your family is not starving then carry on and no one loses.
It’s a hobby and hobbies cost money.
This hobby can cost a lot of money but hey ho on we go

2 Likes

This may woosh over some heads.

4 Likes

A few months old, but still valid -

1 Like

Shouldn’t but you may.

Honestly what I’d do… Take the expensive cable out of your system and replace with a normal cable. Listen for a day or so. As you’ve already said, you expect things to sound worse. Now, take that expensive cable and put it on the Nuc. If you hear no difference that’s a good indication it makes no difference. If you do hear a difference go buy another expensive cable. Then go put your expensive cable back on the streamer and call it good.

1 Like

Easy to say than do. I tried and Oyaide Cat7 is moved to Nuc/switch but I only have one good cable,Wireworld Starlight 8.

None! But never underestimate the human mind - if you think it will sound better, you might experience it to sound better. However, in a pure ABX blindtest this argument will fail! (I have been very convinced I could hear the difference, but could actually not tell which cable was currently used). This observation has saved me a lot of money! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The trouble is @Tor_Gunnar_Berland system is very entry level so system differences would be hard to distinguish…

4 Likes

I have a few other systems as well… The one I’m currently using is Matrix Audio Element X with Audeze LCD-4 headphones (also have a set of Audeze LCD-XC in case I’m in the closed headphone-mood).

But I do like the simple and basic stuff :innocent:

3 Likes

Cat 5e cables will work fine. Just get an unshielded UTP cable. Shielded cables can introduce ground loops.

2 Likes

Nobody needs to ‘enforce the laws of physics’ – they can manage that all by themselves :wink:

8 Likes

There is no need to buy expensive “audiophile” ethernet cables - you are wasting your money. Well made, but not expensive, unshielded Cat6 or Cat6a from Blue Jeans is what I have been using for most connections, other than the long distance between the router and the $30 switch in the audio rack, which is 30m of flat Cat6 I bought from Amazon.

I’ve been using Cat 5e since forever with no issues. Those work just fine for gigabit; if that’s not enough bandwidth for your audio, you’re doing it wrong.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Cinnamon…Forest

Doesn’t hurt to invest in a cheap Ethernet cable tester (yes, it’s a measurement device). Cables do go bad from time to time; typically a wire pulls loose from one of the connectors.

That doesn’t measure air, soundstage or presence though.

2 Likes

If you’re going down the audiophile ethernet testing route, then you need a proper Fluke ethernet analyser…