Do router and ethernet cables affect sound quality?

I think it’s more a case of people couldn’t be bothered to respond than not having experienced what you describe. There’s nothing mysterious or difficult about what you’re describing, nor does it take “high-end” hi-fi to experience.

7 Likes

I don’t have a high end HiFi system, and you don’t need one to get a decent sound stage. But you do need a decent setup (electronics, speakers, room acoustics, speaker placement, listening position and so on) to hear the kind of subtle changes that changes on the ethernet side will give.

Nobody said that. In fact, I said the opposite. It’s an effect created in the recording studio. It’s called panning. How you reproduce this effect at home depends on the factors I mentioned in my previous post (above all position of and distance between speakers, toe-in, size of room and position of listener). This isn’t rocket science…

8 Likes

Yes, but I am not talking about panning.

I know you aren’t. But what you hear is the result of it!

6 Likes

What are you trying to proof? First you talk about purity of the signal, it’s better with fiber then with Ethernet and now suddenly you start with sound manipulating tools.

There are two kinds of phase shift:

• If you have a stereo system, you do not want to have phase shift. In this case higher frequencies arrive earlier or later then deep freqencies. Which is bad.
  • If you use surround systems you can create virtual speakers with phase shifts. In this case you do phase shifts for sonic effects like in cinemas.

But these things have nothing to do with bit perfect. The first one is an error caused by bad devices and non matching analog cables, the second is a wanted effect.

5 Likes

Maybe if you did, we wouldn’t be having this discussion with you…

5 Likes

You can use changes in phase (lets not call it phase shifts) to make sound appear outside the speaker, and widen the sound stage in this way. Fiber in itself don’t change this, but fiber does remove all electronic noise from up-stream, which will have negative effect on the analog stage of the DAC.

However, sound stage is extremely sensitive so even small changes in signal quality can have noticeable effect on the sound stage. For example, if I remove my fiber isolation I can hear a subtle change in clarity, but its so close its hard to be sure. However, I can also hear changes in sound stage which is less subtle and much more concrete.

Don’t know where bit-perfect comes into this discussion, I have always seen bit-perfect as a baseline requirement which we can assume we all have.

The only things you need to hear the kind of subtle changes that changes on the Ethernet side will bring are a vivid imagination and an incredible level of gullibility.

Here’s your next panacea… the final solution:

Any takers on how long it’s going to be before we see a slew of these with various LPSU options appear under usual audiophool brands…

Now you’re linguist, too? This effect IS called phase shifting in recording studios all over the world…

I think its time to leave this discussion! When your opponents run out of factual arguments and starts slinging insults you know you have taken it as far as you can.

To everyone else: my suggestion is to treat the ethernet side of your HiFi like every other part of your HiFi. Borrow and try in your system, and make up your own mind if it in fact did change anything for the better, and base your buy-decisions on this alone.

I personally will borrow and try the new ethernet switch from UpTone, and compare to my fiber isolation. I don’t think it will make much of a difference in my case, since I already have isolation in place, but I will at least give it a chance.

Anyway, leaving this thread. Cu around the forum in other threads :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hallelujah! I pointed out to you that your trick doesn’t work, with the same toys and a better DAC and still you insist, ignoring the facts. Perhaps you need to look at your equipment rather than point to gobbledygook.

Please feel free to share your research paper here, that you discussed earlier in this thread.

Not just with your friends…

Don’t be shy.

2 Likes

I’ve not only left the thread but also deleting my comments. I don’t like how the rudeness begat rudeness in my self. I’ll stick to support issues and feature feedback/requests on this forum in the future.

3 Likes

Share your findings, please.

Paul Krugman has an op-ed piece in the New York Times this morning, which he of course starts out by plugging his new book – no fool he. But something in the opening sentence struck me as relevant:

I’m in Spain right now, talking about zombie ideas — ideas that should have been killed by evidence, but just keep lurching along.

3 Likes

Looks like someone put his copper in a vacuum tube and pass it through a dragon fruit.

Oh yes. There’s a difference. Heard it. In a dealers long and (relatively) narrow listening room, at some distance. Excellent demo set, but the sound quality at my location was poor(ish). Bloomy, woolly lows. And then with a €300,- network from router to streamer it tightened up nicely. Using a €3.000,- link was markedly tighter. Now I don’t say it was all better and more beautiful and / or well worth the money, but different definitely. Spoiler: I still use the diy Belden we used when rewiring the house.

Just bought these “audiophile” ethernet cables for $3.97 each. I’ll let you know how they sound. :sunglasses:

4 Likes