Do router and ethernet cables affect sound quality?

I work for a semiconductor manufacturer and support our Ethernet switches and PHY’s at a layer 1 /2 level. I’m an EE and have been in the electronics industry for over 30 years. I’m also an avid audiophile.

I’ve been reading so much BS about audiophile Ethernet cables and switches from snake-oil salesmen and no-one can give me an answer to the voodoo magic that these these things provide .Total and utter BS. If your cables and switches work, then that’s all you need.

16 Likes

I dont blame you. Whilst I am still unconvinced by any network stuff affecting sq especially in my system. I have not stood by and just dismissed it. I have experimented and tried different switches, cables including alleged audio quality ones and really found little difference and nothing to shout out about. Frankly people need to just let people discuss what they feel they hear and try to get a better understanding as to why rather then instantly reject it as voodoo and also try things yourself before dismissing anything.

6 Likes

Star post in this thread, if you ask me…

1 Like

The problem with that approach is you will hear subtle differences because of expectation bias when no real difference exist. This is exactly why some people keep pouring their hard earned money into this hobby for no good reason. And, the more it cost, the better you think it sounds, when it really doesn’t.

Someone must have seen all the sales potential in this thread :crazy_face:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/chord-company-revives-english-electric-debuts-network-switch

1 Like

I keep harping on about live music and getting out to enjoy it as it gives you a reference to what is realistic and to be expected.
This can cure a lot of hankering for the next upgrade (it did for me) and it’s probably a lot cheaper and more fun than chasing cables and tweaks. You’ll also see some fine new music into the bargain.
So tonight I’ll be enjoying Rag Mama Rag and will probably buy a CD of two into the bargain.
Damn… Now I won’t be able to afford that super switch for another month… Oh well…

1 Like

These new cables are great. I think it’s because they are black instead of gray. My TV even looks better. My 4K TV is now 5K. :roll_eyes:

Actually, I just wanted some shorter cables to get rid of some of the excessive wires behind the router and TV in our master bedroom.

1 Like

In your setup ethernet cables won’t matter, whatever difference there are between them will be completely hidden by your network switch and Raspberry PI (and maybe other parts of your setup that I can’t see on the pictures).

1 Like

You don’t even know what system I have, or how it sounds. But let me list what I have on my ethernet side:

• One Netgear switch for about $40
  • One TP-Link media converter for about $30
  • 50cm or fiber cable, cost about $8
  • Another TP-Link media converter where the switched regulator is replaced with a high-level linear regulator, cost about $60. Running on rechargeable batteries, cost about $30 (including charger)
  • One Supra ethernet cable, cost about $30
  • One used microRendu, running on battery, cost about $400 (that includes battery and charger)

The only thing I actually bought from a HiFi vendor is the Supra cable, so I am hardly their golden boy :slight_smile:

And none of that makes a bit of difference. If it works, it works. If not, replace it.

I know what DAC you have and I seem to recall you posted your amplification and speakers also. If your Ethernet cable makes a difference you’re doing it wrong or go ask your DAC manufacturer why their engineering is to your ears suspect.

1 Like

Jim, you got to watch those bend radii, the bits are going to collide going into the corners and cause untold noise and harshness between the ears.

1 Like

Thanks. I was careful to straighten out the cables before plugging them in lest they get clogged up. I think the new black cables added a few feet to the sound stage versus my old gray cables. Music seems to arrive faster also. Must be because they are 7 feet instead of 14 feet long.

2 Likes

You should add ferrites to both ends and toe your router in just a little bit, the soundstage imaging and air will improve dramatically.

2 Likes

Good idea. I might also raise the router some more by placing it on a taller stand.

Some of these recommendations definitely trigger Poe’s Law.

2 Likes

You need some rocks.

6 Likes

Thank you for that measured response. I won’t bother to (ever again) respond to the snark of some of the other posters on here.

2 Likes

Not sure what your implying with this response. Do you have any real evidence to back this up with? If I had expectation bias during my testing or I heard a difference for the positive I would have £259 less in my bank account. I don’t but rather than be narrow minded and join the bit is bits sheep I wanted to find out myself and put money where my mouth is. I know a lot of very sensible people across a wider net than this forum who do find difference and improvements with network gear.

It’s easy to find out yourself and if no improvement you can send it back and your can even try it with stuff you already have.

If you want to disbelieve it without actually trying then fine but don’t criticise those that have actually tried things out to have a better understanding one way or another. It might be a collective cognitive bias or it might be noise shaping or something else completely but no one will know without actually trying things out for themselves rather than quote verbatim the same old tired arguments. Which are just the same on both sides of this thorny subject. Infact you might as well say someone elses system sounds crap without even hearing it.

If science just believed one way of thinking we would not have managed to get something to the outer reaches of our planetary system, understand DNA or have split the Atom.

1 Like

That’s the part I don’t understand about this discussion, I think.

When I listen to music, how I feel about it influences my hearing of it. Even for the same piece of music how I hear it depends on how much sleep I’ve had, how much coffee I’ve had, how much I’ve eaten, how much exercise I’ve gotten, whether I’ve gotten everything done today I need to, whether I’m going on a trip tomorrow, whether I’ve had sex (and when), what books I’ve read, what movies I’ve seen, what TV I’ve watched, what political issues I’ve obsessed about – a veritable cornucopia of influences. With something as unreliable as the human mind to measure differences, even if I try something out and hear a difference, I still won’t know if there actually is a difference, or if I’ll hear it tomorrow – or at least I won’t.

10 Likes