Do router and ethernet cables affect sound quality?

I’m sure, you cannot measure what makes the difference, but the taste of the coffee must be incredibly different!

Best post ever.

1 Like

You might need to upgrade your cup. Or, at least try a different color.

A switch does matter, a bad router or switch will bombard your streamer with all kinds of multicast packages, this increase your device load unnecessarily.

Of course I can measure that. The upper diagram shows my physical, emotional, intellectual and intuitive mental vibrations. After enjoying a cup of the so powered Nespresso. In the diagram below you can see the 3 electrical phases that flow through the Nespresso machine. It is easy to see that my biorhythm vibrates in harmony with the tension of the machine. Everything is in balanced flow…

I think this measurement actually proves everything :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I do believe you’re right @stereoJo ! Congratulations on a splendid piece of observational deduction. You should submit your work to HiFi News (or your chosen publicaton - Penthouse or Gardner’s World perhaps) without delay. :flushed:

I think this is true of any router or switch if something on your network is generating that traffic, unless you configure traffic management on a managed device…

… which will have no effect on any competently designed interface.

I need a coffee…

2 Likes

A good switch only routes the right multicast datagrams to the right device(s).

Yes, please, go and get your coffee and think…

Can you be more specific please?

A good switch such as the commercial grade cisco switches will properly implement the Internet Group Management Protocol ( IGMP https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Group_Management_Protocol ), this will allow the multicast traffic goes to the right devices that subscribe to some multicast groups.
Otherwise you will receive all kinds of garbage. In the old days, I actually saw it killed some devices in the same lan if the traffic was heavy.

1 Like

You must have some serious, and I mean serious issues if your system is having load issues due to multicast… Let’s not mention that a proper nic taxes its own chip and not the CPU.

If anything it makes your switch work harder but not once will it cause an issue on your network unless you are maliciously flooding the network with bad packets, etc… You could have rogue device be chatty asf but that’s about it. In any case, want to go that far, than seperate your data and make vlans. Issue resolved

1 Like

Kids playing video games, watching 4K netflix movies?

Not even in a million years you would have an issue because of that.

Over wireless maybe but your Lan should be just fine. Now days 1gige is standard which can handle that traffic just fine and that’s not multicast by the way. Maybe in the 10/100 days you could see issues.

1 Like

@Quentin_in_FranCisco Well maybe I did need a coffee…

I probably missed ‘multicast’ in your post, and read ‘bad’ as ‘non-audiophile’. Which is maybe understandable given the context in this thread.

1 Like

@StereJo You really can’t get proper coffee from a Nespresso, you need to invest in one of these :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: You might need to sell a couple of body parts to be able to afford it.

https://slayerespresso.com/product/single-group-espresso/

1 Like

Is that a higher dissolving system?

3 Likes

No, it’s optimised for noise supression thus reducing jitter as its purified femto-heated water releases every last detail, nuance and ounce of flavour, capturing it in cup for the ultimate coffee indulgence.

3 Likes

Heh heh, what @evand said.

Actually an Italian friend of mine told me the water in Italy is what contributes more than you might think to the flavor profile of espresso there.

Nespresso machine are entry level, but better than the crap instant coffee and brewed rubbish in America’s hotels and offices

Here is my rig…which reminds me it’s time to get up and go pull some shots.

4 Likes

Agreed. These kinds of threads always amaze me. Our world’s entire banking system relies on the flawless sending and receiving of trillions of dollars every day in the form of digital data along bog standard ethernet cables. No one has ever said that these cables cause the loss of or incorrect transmission of that data such that one million dollars leaves bank A and arrives at Bank B one thousand dollars short. But it seems digital music has a magical quality about it that requires ethernet cables costing hundreds and “audiophile quality” switches costing thousands for data to be sent and received without something being lost!

3 Likes