Do router and ethernet cables affect sound quality?

Anyone hear a difference? This version is 4,100 euros. There is a more affordable version at about half the price.

It’s a long review but there is an A/B about 1.55 in.

1 Like

It reminded me on my D-Link 1005 I recently replaced.
Since then I haven’t put it back never again.

How could I possibly hear a difference when I’m listening to the audio streaming through my non-audiophile switch? Or, rather, if I can hear a difference in that YouTube video then clearly the switch is not necessary since I don’t have one but I still heard the difference.

3 Likes

I couldn’t hear anything either. There are other oddities. I believe this was developed for the Japanese Railway, which is probably why he recommends fixing the switch to a railway sleeper for another uplift in ‘stability’ and SQ.

2 Likes

I tried these and have two of them… They are superb for everything else but not audio. Do not use these for Audio!

I could hear the difference was quite obvious, but not worth the money… I bet they are only as good as SOTM switch. SOTM switch is still overpriced in my opinion at over €1200.

Interesting. What equipment are you using? For me it wasn’t “subtle” or “marginal” or “not worth the money” compared with other tweaks. I literally could not hear any difference at all. Totally identical.

SOtM Snh-10g… lovely bit of kit

2 Likes

This thread just gets better and better!

2 Likes

No difference on my iPhone.

This is an extract of the A/B test of the 4,100 euro switch in the youtube link above. Just to be clear what it is. It is within the limits of youtube audio. It is 128kbs mp3. The youtube clip has been recorded from a high quality streaming system with and without the switch. The reviewer claims an “obvious” difference. You can upload this clip to your own roon library and listen through your own system with and without your own switch.

M12-A;B- Test File

I listened to this file with and without a Netgear GS108 through an i5 Mock (with a SoTM USB card) → USB->Eximus DP1 DAC->Mark Levinson 27.5->B&W 802D. I also tried it through a similar setup but via an i7 Lenova e590 over both fixed internet and wifi to a SoTM sms-200 neo.

I simply couldn’t hear any difference at all.

A youtube video @ 128kbps to prove an A/B difference between switches. Some audiophile testing that is!

So what should the conclusion be here? Play low quality mp3’s and the switch will make them sound like DSD’s?

@MGXmusicUK I use the TP-Link variant (the insides are identical, they both come out ot the same chinese factories). They don’t sound at all!

My hifi systems sounds superb though.

1 Like

No. Play low quality mp3’s and the switch will make no difference at all. It’s actually one of a handful of testing data points in 1343 posts.

No. It’s been discussed a lot. Some of us do know how Ethernet works, some does not want to learn.

1 Like

I was surprised when I looked on-line there are not many ABX tests or objective tests of any kind. That’s really what I mean by “data point” rather than the engineering principles. The few tests out there are quite old now. I posted a few of them myself further up. Those with an understanding of ethernet protocols have by and large lost interest in this but if anything the audiophile ethernet market has just grown more extreme in terms of cost and claims. I thought this might be of shared interest on both sides of the camp but actually there was very little interest. Your point is fair so I’ve edited my post to be clearer.

I’d love to set up a link sending TCP/IP by smoke signal or carrier pigeon with a ten year buffer and then play it back after all data was received. Surely that would be enough to persuade people ?

1 Like

Carrier pigeon? - Then that should by rights be an implementation of RFC1149 – a standard for the transmission of IP datagrams on avian carriers…

3 Likes

The way the Romans who occupied Britain communicated with Rome.
Still, don’t think the signal traveled at the speed of light.

Even this protocol was subject to enhancement. " IP over Avian Carriers with Quality of Service".

No doubt, as the technology moves on there are worthwhile improvements in SQ to be had.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t this protocol actually introduce noise?