Do you embed artwork into your local files?

Hi all,

I just wanted to check what people do with their front cover artwork:

• embed

• not embed

Thanks!

Not embed. I put the cover in album folder, but only if Roon is not identify the album.
Why waste disk space, increase the size of all audio files and not save space and time?..

2 Likes

Always the cover in album folder :slight_smile:

1 Like

My CD ripping software (dBpoweramp) embeds the album cover as metadata in the tracks and as an image file in the album folder.

5 Likes

I also use dBpoweramp, but I have the artwork embedding switched off, and just use the artwork saved to the folder. When I get it in my noggin to change or upgrade artwork, all I have to do is transfer the artwork files, not the music files. Anyway that’s what works for me. It’s going to be different for different folks of course.

Embedded , not really sure why , I suspect from the good old days of running a streamer on a USB drive way before Roon.

It’s a default on JRMC which I use to tag new stuff.

One advantage is in box sets , you can have the box image as folder jpg and the disc artwork in the file

Embed. Don’t know why I prefer this over the folder option, but I just do!

Also use dboweramp. Do not embed cover art in my FLAC files (just have single cover art file in album folder, named “cover.jpg” sized 1000x1000 (as opposed to “folder.jpg”; this goes back to the old days when windows media player had the ability to mess with one’s album art without one’s knowledge, even if not using WMP, and it got opened accidentally. But only messed with folder.jpg and NOT cover.jpg).

For mp3 files I create from my FLAC files for use on portable devices (iphone, etc.) I have the dbpoweramp converter create embedded files (300x300) for the mp3 copies. This is because these mp3 files are more likely to be used randomly and not as complete albums.

As much as Roon is good for identifying albums. I don’t like my actual files not being tagged correctly. So, as soon as a CD is ripped, it goes into MP3Tag, all the artwork is then added and the titles are correctly written to the files. Only after that is done is it imported into Roon.

I know others prefer Roon to do it all. But, I couldn’t bare to see files names like Track 1, and no artwork showing on the file, etc.

4 Likes

Embedded here. I’ve been ripping to FLAC since 2008, and only started using Roon three years ago. I’ve always embedded artwork so didn’t change much about my ripping practices with Roon.
Oh, and dBpoweramp here too.

Michael

Agree. I’m a fanatic for having my tags and folder structure just the way I want it. dbpoweramp ripping and initial tagging/art. Then mp3tag for any tweaks. This workflow has served me well for many years.

1 Like

I do exactly as you do.

1 Like

Embed. Disk space is cheap. Cross-compatibility is not.

4 Likes

I am an embedder :slightly_smiling_face:
Do my tagging with MediaMonkey4 since years and have done settings for embedding cocer in the files.
The folder.jpg is saved in the folder too.
So roon and each program i used for music or my phone always shows covers.

1 Like

Yep, that’s why I’m an embedder too :nerd_face:

1 Like

I wondered about that. But it is nonissue. Disk storage space is not a compelling reason at all. Embedding an average 250 kB image in the metadata of each track is the storage space equivalent of adding a typical 3-4 seconds of audio in FLAC. Peanuts.

AJ

2 Likes

I embed cover(s) and tags in every files (alac/flac/dsf).

I embed and tag each file and I also put the picture file in the folder

I always embed the artwork and then look for the highest resolution cover image I can find to save as “cover.jpg”. Then I scan the booklet at 600dpi and save as a single pdf.

for me folder size from 100kb to 600kb is ok from quality aspect on all of my devices.
For known albums i let roon show its cover, for unknown albums (by roon) my cover will be taken from folder.jpg or from inside the tag