Do you perfer long or short albums?

As a preferred listener of shorter albums, I was wondering what everyone else’s opinion is?

• Short Album = 40 mins or less
  • Long Album = 40 mins or longer
  • No Preference
0 voters

Definitely short for me. Glad to see that many of my favourite artists are embracing the 35-45 min albums.

1 Like

Same, I love prog-rock but sometimes those albums push an hour plus and it’s hard for me to finish.

1 Like

Love the long rock opera saga type albums.
Give me 2 hours plus and I’m good.

1 Like

I remember in my vinyl days, having to get up and turn over after 20 mins was a mood killer. Now, I’ve no preference. The album just needs to feel finished, and not be padded with strange radio mixes.

1 Like

I still buy vinyls, sometimes it’s a drag to change the album every 20 mins, I agree. The worst ones are the vinyls with 3 short songs on each side, I have a couple like this, you might as well never sit down lol.

1 Like

No preference. After the first couple of listen I skip the tracks I don’t like no matter the length.

1 Like

Some albums need to be short and some need to be long, and they are perfect that way.

I don’t need artificially drawn out albums with lots of filler, featured artists, and skits the way it once was the fad in hip hop. If you have 30 great minutes, leave it at that.

4 Likes

Exactly my thoughts :+1:

1 Like

Neither…I only listen to digital and that is one of the reasons…I almost never listen to artist for an album length of cuts…though I do listen to the same artist for more than an album worth of songs…the beauty of iPad control…instead of a TT

1 Like

I’m like this with reading, too. I’ve read a lot of Peter Hamilton lately, and some of his novels (sagas) run to 2,500 pages. After this, a short novel is appreciated before the next long read.

Same with albums. But I hate padded out releases. I played Architecture and Morality earlier, and the CD has 7 additional tracks. No thank you.

1 Like

Agreed on “long” albums that are nothing but filled with demo and outtake fluff.

Avoid those where possible.

1 Like

I remember always being amazed at Frank Zappa’ s Apostrophe album clocking in at a tidy 32:56… There’s so much great music packed in there, but timewise, its pretty short!

I don’t really have a preference. Some of the bands I like have short songs and albums that are around the 30 to 35 minute mark, others are more epic.
As mentioned above, I despise the demos, re-mixes and sh1tty live (sound board) recordings that are used to pad out albums.