Do you recommend using HQPlayer?

**Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Sennheiser HDV 820 headphone amp (with Sennheiser 800S headphones)connected through USB to a quite new iMac running Big Sur and the latest version of Roon.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

I also stream Roon from my iMac to an Oppo 203 wirelessly. Fast Spectrum internet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

See above

Description Of Issue

I am wondering if using HQPlayer would enhance the sound quality and if there are any particular settings, if used, for my setup.

1 Like

It depends on what you plan on doing when you play music. If you want to upsample and upconvert PCM to DSD then I would suggest hqplayer. It has more filters and will do a better job. If you only up sample from DSD 64 to Dsd128 Roon should be able to handle it

HQ Player’s multi-channel downmixing has more options than Roon. If you have 5.0/5.1 sources and wanna use your headphone to listen to, go with HQ Player.

NO - I do NO recommend.

1 Like

HQPlayer can be a bit tricky to configure and with so many options it’s difficult to determine optimal settings, but in my setup, converting PCM to DSD feeding a Holo Spring Dac it gives outstanding sound quality, transformational in fact. No super high bit rate needed I use DSD128. If you are interested use the free trial to see if it’s worth it for you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.