Does a Core server computer need to be a i3-i7?

Would the Mini PC below work with a Alder lake CPU?

Beelink Mini S12 Pro Mini PC, Intel 12th Gen Alder Lake- N100(up to 3.4GHz), 16GB DDR4 RAM 500GB PCIe SSD

Or would this be the better choice?

Beelink SEi10 Mini PC, 10th Gen Core i5-1035G7 (4C/8T, Up to 3.7GHz) Mini Computer, 16GB DDR4+1TB PCle3.0 SSD Micro Desktop

The Beelink you mention has the CPU soldered to the main board. No socket.

Could be wrong

I recommend a supported NUC

1 Like

If you are not using a specified Intel NUC from the list provided by Roon, then you are running an unsupported MOCK build. Now MOCKs can work just fine, wanted to set a support expectation baseline.

That being said, I disklike Beelink products. I"ve had friends that have had nightmares using Beelink products with just basic Windows installs and failed drivers, USB not working, etc.

ROCK only includes the drivers necessary to work with official Intel Motherboards, and there is no way to load other drivers.

3 Likes

Thanks, What would be a good low cost option under $350?

Her’s another one I found although I’m a little wary of a refurb…

HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF High Performance Business Desktop Computer, Intel Quad Core i5-4590 upto 3.7GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 256GB SSD (boot), DVD, WiFi, Windows 10 Professional (Renewed)

1 Like

Just load Windows RoonServer on it and you are good to go. I wouldn’t use it for ROCK, if that is what you are asking.

It is not like there is any SQ difference between running RoonServer on a Linux base OS (ROCK) or running it on Windows.

2 Likes

I’ve used a j4105 8gb mini pc as a MOCK and it did just fine. That said I’ve recently changed it to a Lenovo M900 i5 6400T tiny (ex business, small footprint, reliable) with 16gb and an NVME drive and it’s certainly snappier. Given that the Lenovo was £50/$75 I think you’re better investing in an ex enterprise i5/i7 than a mini pc with a Celeron

1 Like

Doesn’t have to be an i3 or i7 but it’s recommended to for good reasons as they have been proven to work better with how Roon works.

2 Likes

Thanks Everyone. I do have a i3 NUC that I could use ROCK on but I found the installation to be confusing. I remember with the desktop I just downloaded the ROON app and everything was up without flashing bios and other more advanced procedures.

If you’re not overly computer savvy it can seem complicated but in reality it’s very simple. Download the Rock installation media, you then install this onto a usb stick using an application called rufus or Balena Etcher. Ensure the chosen pc can boot from a connected usb device and it’s the first priority media to boot from, this is done via its bios boot menu. Reboot it will start to install rock and guide you through. Takes a few minutes. Once done Roon will be up and running, connect to it it will ask if you want to start a new database or restore an existing one. So you need to have a backup to hand on another usb device or on a network share Roon can access. Any ainteraction with Rock itself it is via rocks simple web gui which is accessed by a web browser on another computer, tablet or phone. Not much else to do.

2 Likes

Thanks, I previously made a raspberry pi into an endpoint so I have done some more advanced stuff. I think it might have been an issue with the USB stick. Maybe the 500mb wasn’t enough or it was corrupted? I was having issues getting the Rock image on the stick.

Did you use one of the bits of software I mentioned as it has to be imaged to the drive so it’s bootable much like the sd cards on a pi.

1 Like

Yes, I used Etcher and never had issues in the past. Maybe I missed something. I remember being confused on the direction saying there were steps to do on another computer.

Also where do I get a backup? I also think I need to deauthorize my old computer.

You should have been backing up your database via Roon to another location regularly. This is a must if you want to move computers or restore a library when the computer it’s on fails. This is a step it encourages you to do on first setup. If you have not done this then you really should.

1 Like

You could use Rufus as an alternate.

1 Like

FWIW, I use a recycled Dell Optiplex 3050 micro. It had a i3-6100 (I think) and I acquired a i5-6500 (I think) and swapped them over. Upped to 16gb RAM and added a 240gb SSD for the OS.

I have good success with ROCK and Windows Roon Server on this machine.

I added a USB CD drive and you’ll be able to rip CDs (Rock recognises a Dell CD drive). I use a 1Tb m.2 SSD in a USB caddy for my music storage. On the whole very reliable.

YMMV.

Like @Rugby suggest, give Beelink a wide birth. Not reliable in my view.

2 Likes

Thanks, looking at this one on Amazon. Is there an advantage to running ROCK on it when you can just run as a Roon Core server?

Rock allows it to be a standalone setup.

Windows or a Linux distro like Ubuntu would be needed to use Roon Server.

I use Windows and Roon Server, most of the time as I want to use dbPoweramp for ripping CDs.

In my case it’s fairly setup and left alone.

Rock does allow ripping of CDs. Insert disc, rips automatically and ejects when done. I just don’t like how Roon deals with storing the ripped CD.

Edit: with Windows I can also run Plex and other things.

1 Like

I was able to save a backup to dropbox as my HD was corrupted on the main windows computer I have been using. The ROCK installation guide says I need to flash the image on another computer (Is this necessary?) I only have a chromebook now that my desktop is dying.