Does Node 2i output USB to DAC?

Sorry guys if this is redundant. I couldn’t find an answer and Bluesound is not returning my email with the question.

Does the node 2i output digital to the DAC via USB just like it does optical?

Question 2. Can you have 2 digital ouputs hooked up to 2 systems? Are all digital outputs active at once time or do you select that say optical is outputting or coax ect… I 'm thinking I could Use one node 2i for 2 rooms this way.

Looks like there is no usable USB port on the back of the Node 2i. The USB port on under the ethernet port is for connecting to a storage device and the mini USB is dedicated to service. Not sure if the coax and Toslink are active at the same time. I found all this on the Blusound web site.

I looked at the same thing. I couldn’t tell if the USB port outputs or is only for storage it’ doesn’t say specifically that I could find

Check the user guide. It’s also available online. It says the USB port is for storage devices.

I have one. The USB port is for storage.
If you want output to a DAC (or pre-amp), you’d use coax, toslink, or analog RCA.

Yes They did confirm it. USB does not output digital. Is there a reason to choose coax over optical as the better sounding fo the two digital outputs?

If I were to hook the Node 2i into my oppo 105 via Coax or Optical , would it bypass the Node DAC? Would I still be able to use Roon? Thx

I’m pretty sure they told me the analog and both digital outputs are all active at once so you could hook it up via digital output and analog output and it would work. I have used mine via rca digital and optical at the same time and it works just fine.

Thanks. Are you running the Digital into a DAC and the RCA’s into a amp?

I run RCA digital into a DAC in the room with that system and then the optical runs to a Dynaudio connect box and those speakers are in the other room, so both systems are playing at once from the same Node 2i box. I was told the analog out works as well so you could use that. I don’t care for the sound of the Node 2i DAC, I just use it mostly because it’s a Roon endpoint.

2 Likes

Thx planning on doing the same. RCA in my Marantz 7005AVR, Digital into Oppo 105.

Looks like the new Node announced today supports USB audio out, as per their specs sheet: NODE - Bluesound

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I got a Node 2i just 3 weeks ago and spoke with my dealer this morning and because I’m within the return window I asked him for a swap and he said yes. He put the order in for the New Node and I will bring my Node 2i as soon the New Node arrive to the store. Now the question for Roon would be: Would the New Node be Roon Ready from release or it has to go under certification after release? @Danny any info you can share regarding Roon Ready status for the New Node and New PowerNode units will be really appreciated.

But if I output from the Node to the DAC via RCA, isn’t the signal already converted? If I want my external DAC to do the decoding, wouldn’t I have to use the Node’s digital outputs (coax/toslink)?

The specs say that it will be available for free with a future software update. Presumably this means it’s not currently able to output audio over USB?

Yeah they changed the specs sheet later to say it will only be available in an update :confused: which we can possibly be never, haha. But let’s see hopefully they deliver.

Right . If you output via RCA, you’re using the Node’s DAC. If you use the digital outputs (coax/toslink), then the D to A conversion is done downstream (by another DAC, not the Node’s DAC). You may or may not hear a significant difference between these output modes.

2 Likes

I’m gonna find out! Thanks!

can i buy a spdif to usb converter for the 2i? i think usb sounds better with my DAC

I have a similar question which I have not been able to get an answer to. I have an android phone which can output music over a usb c connection. I am trying to get downloaded TIDAL music off my phone onto the Bluesound platform. USB as was stated before is just for storage devices. Would a USB C to Optical work?

The reason I am doing this is for an option/back up to Roon when my internet goes down (a regular problem in Mexico). I have a terrabyte of downloaded Tidal music and currently using Bluetooth to connect to Bluesound. I am hoping there is a digital cable option to get the audio of my phone onto Bluesound/NAD.