Does "prefer file" actually prefer the file?

Content you’re reporting an issue with

So, I recently bought this album by Can Can Heads:

And it’s recognised as Peppa Pig: Whistling. Fair enough, it might be the more popular option and I’m not even sure that the actual album is found in AllMusic.

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

SInce it was totally wrong I edit the metadata in Roon and set every single thing to “prefer file” for this album, I do get the correct artist, correct album title, correct song titles and everything, except…

Is the album identified in Roon?

Sure is, as Peppa Pig: Whistling.

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

Local files.

Description of the issue

This might be a cosmetic issue, but I find it annoying. On top of the track listing I still get a mention that all tracks are performed by Peppa Pig. Am I doing something wrong? Does Roon know something I don’t about the Can Can Heads?

Sure does “Prefer file” prefer file metadata. But just that – prefer file metadata if for a single metadata data set (Track Title for example) two versions exist, one from Roon and one from file. In the other cases, data in Roon only or data in file only, there is nothing to prefer over the other.
In a case like this, where Roon’s metadata is for a different album, there is no point trying to fix that with “prefer file”. You should instead make the album “unidentified” in Roon – Roon then automatically uses file metadata exclusively as it is the only available metadata source. To unidentify an album follow the guide for identifying albums and choose the appropriate choices (something along the lines of “This doesn’t match”:

1 Like

It should, but it’s possible performer is still saved in the database from its first import/scan. Or retry manual re-scan.

Or try it like this: Click 3 dots in the album, click Identify Album, click None of these look right, again in next window click None of these look right, than new window will open and click Use basic file information.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.