Does Roon care about non-streamers anymore?

In my setup (which I’m assuming is the default, since I haven’t changed things), Opera is considered a sub-genre of classical.

You can change this, though. Go to Genres -> Classical and then scroll to the sub-genres section and click on Opera. Now click “the three dots” and choose Edit. The top of the pane is the parent genre editor. Choose the Edit checkbox and it will be a top-level genre

This I’m not quite sure how to do. However, you can add a tag to a genre, so you could pick the five genres you care about most.

1 Like

Funnily enough I listen to both the music that I love from my younger years and new music that I have been finding through Roon Radio and friends. Bands from my teenage years and twenties like Rush, Led Zep, Fields Of The Nephilim, Curve, The Cure, Sade and Old School Rap still feature regularly in my playlists. If I ever need cheering up you will find me pogoing around the room to Neds Atomic Dustbin and Carter USM :grinning:.

And that new music sooner or later becomes old favourites. I don’t limit myself and don’t want to either.

Anyhow this topic has been derailed enough by me.

3 Likes

I want to add my Data in Roon, a one stop shop. These are private recording I have, exclusive and I don’t wish to publish anything about them on another service.

1 Like

You certainly don’t want “private recordings” in other services :cowboy_hat_face::cowboy_hat_face:

Remember Kal that most, if not all recordings are made in PCM these days. Recording in DSD has fallen very much out of favour.
For example, Linn now make all their new recordings in 24/192. I think DSD is now very much ‘dead’ as a medium.

Many roon Classical users have large local libraries. There are many feature requests going back years in the feature request section. Periodically, these have been collected together for ease of reference. Here is a (relatively) recent attempt.

Most of the requests relate to additional file-format support, meta-data handling, search, organization and presentation one way or another. Classical is impacted by these requirements but also other pop genres that share the basic feature of Classical music that it is “cover”, “mix” and “collector” driven. For example EDM enthusiasts often make similar requests.

But I also have a rather different take on this topic. As a relatively new “streamer” (Qobuz) coming from a local library “collector” background the most frustrating thing I find about roon is that the editing functionality available to a local library is not available to a streamed library. For example composition level identification and composition hierarchy editing (WORK/PART). It would be nice to have some consistency especially in “hybrid” local/streamed libraries.

1 Like

I do not stream but play only from my local library. With regard to the thread title: If I remember correctly one recently introduced functionality (related to room radio queue/suggestions I think), does work only for streamers, because local libraries would be to small in order to make valid suggestions. This is a bummer imho.

Well that’s me off to check out the ECM catalogue… :slightly_smiling_face:

@Tony_Casey

Thank you for posting the collated info relating to classical feature requests. It made for interesting reading & food for thought, but thus far in my Roon journey, it’s way too early to fully understand the concepts.

In so far as classical is concerned, I’ve not tried to listen or seek out any of my albums. With so many, I’m really just trying to work my way around the UI. In artist view, I have just under 1900 & album view closing in on 5000 albums. So as a new user you can imagine I’ve not gotten very far with my collection. I’ve briefly tested genre & had Roon ‘curate’ some music based on genre. I must say it was very impressive. This afternoon whilst working I was listening to some Roon Radio in France. I’ve also played some tracks ‘side by side’ using Roon and streaming without - just for the heck of it.

There is actually a fair learning curve & I assume it will take me a month or two to really get comfortable & fully understand the capabilities of its full functionality.

Good luck on your journey. One tip is to “focus” on your “unidentified” albums that slipped through roon’s auto-recognition routines and identify manually as many as you can. Roon’s functionality depends a lot on album identification. With Classical, if it is important to you, you will also want to take the identification process down a level to individual compositions. But there will be time enough for all that.

Thank you Tony. :smiley:

I can tell the classical component wiil take a fair amount of work. Thus far, I’ve not used Roon’s auto-recognition. I set it up to use my own metadata. I have tried to use Roon’s recognition feature on a few albums to see what it would turn up & how it compared to my metadata, but it didn’t find those albums at all, so I’ve not tested it again.

Great ‘focus’ tip - thank you. As I’ve barely scrolled through the few pages of albums, I really have little idea what’s been missed or what needs some work. Perhaps over the Easter break, I’ll have considerably more time, as I’m one of the lucky ones still required to work during the these tough times & lock down.

To a significant degree but not entirely.

And, unfortunately, only in 2 channels. Fooey on them.

Pentatone, BIS and every other large commercial recording company I am aware of, has moved away from DSD for recording to PCM/DXD (which, in essence is PCM).
DSD had it’s day. But that day was yesterday.

I do not understand your point. Are you arguing that one should convert their all their downloaded DSF files or those ripped from their SACDs to PCM? This sub-thread seems to originate from my statement:

I will take your word for it but when I rip SACDs for my server, I don’t save the stereo DSFs, let alone the CD tracks.

How, in any way, is this related to the almost ubiquitous use of DXD for recording?

FWIW, if the DXD is available for download, that is what I would choose.

ISO? Wasn’t that wiped out when the last great meteor hit the earth? Seriously, *.iso files have faded into insignificance. Rescue them, extract and save what you need in another format and enjoy. But don’t expect your 2020 software to bend to the needs of those still stick in the past. I’d prefer Roon to focus on today and tomorrow and not try to be all things to all generations (and I’m 67 years old, btw).

3 Likes

Sure, but I think you are using “contemporary” as a genre, not as a time stamp. There is lots of truly revolutionary music being produced now. Roon shows, of the 1013 albums I have added in the last twelve months (1001 of them streamed). 565 of them are from the last decade, 747 from this century.

And they are groundbreaking, revolutionary. I insist on this. Life is too short to listen to stale music. I’m 70, may have only 30 years left, that’s too little time to discover all the exciting stuff I want to discover.

For example:
Vijay Iyer, especially his collaboration with Wadada Leo Smith (who is 78 and revolutionary)
Craig Taborn, Tyshawn Sorey, Marilyn Crispell, Ethan Iverson, Mark Turner, Rudresh Mahantappa, Marc Copeland, Roscoe Michell, Robert Glasper… a bunch of Americans
Roberto Bonati, Diana Torto, Enrico Degani, Stefani Battaglia, Michele Rabbia, Alberto Tacchini… a bunch of Italians
Jon Balke, Trygve Seim, Øyvind Brække, Per Oddvar Johansen, Eyvind Aarset, Mats Eilertsen… a bunch of Scandinavians
And French, Poles, Germans, Argentinians…

7 Likes

It is all very well telling us to embrace streaming, but all of my neighbors have to stick with the sub 1Mb/s internet unless they are able to afford the cost of a Microwave link like we did. The UK government has just abandoned the rural population to the commercial interests and thus we won’t generally be able to stream. But Iam nearly a year in to my Roon sub and will certainly not be cancelling yet :slight_smile:

New music can be old music you newly discover. Roon Radio is great for that.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, successive UK governments have failed to deliver on their promise for universal broadband. However, there is a new scheme–the Universal Service Obligation–where you can request a minimum download speed of 10Mbs (launched earlier this month with caveats.)

However, the reason for my post was that no one is dismissing non-streamers. The reality is that this is the future and both physical media and digital downloads are in sharp decline.

William Gibson said, The future is already here — it’s just not very evenly distributed.
Sure, there are those who can’t use streaming or find it uneconomical or unreliable. Today.
And cloud computing, electrical cars…

Local data isn’t being abandoned, as @Danny has made very clear.
But “streaming ate the music industry,”

3 Likes